Need People That Owned Bounty Hunter and Another Brand....

thewatchers

Jan 31, 2010
Couch, M0
Detector(s) used
SharpShooter2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I'm sure questions like this have been asked but of course I'm asking again. I currently am using a Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter 2 and I am very happy with it. I don't seem to have a problem finding some goodies and like how its really simple to use. Now I have read probably over a hundred reviews and it just seems impossible to get the answers I'm looking for. On this site I feel like the majority of its users have a fairly large amount of sense from just their general trial and error. So here is the question. I'm looking for some people that have used a bounty hunter detector and then has either moved on to nicer detectors or have atleast gave other detectors a fair amount of swinging and decided to stick to bounty hunter. I know that the question leaves alot of space but I just need some personal experiences why you did or did not switch from bounty hunter. Now if you haven't used both and are one of the ones that just hate the muffler style detectors please don't come to argue about how they are junk. I'm just looking to get a 2nd detector and would like some real advice from people that experienced both. And one more request. If the detector you used is junk cause it was had say a faultly part, can you keep your complaining down a little. I read a handfull of those kind of reviews and I know lemons exist but I don't like baseing my decision around a few flukes in manufactoring.

Thanks Jesse

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I like how simple it was to use. I was actually finding stuff with it too. Found my first civil war relics with it. Then I upgraded to a Minelab E-trac. I went over the same areas I have hunted out with the Tracker IV. Mostly my front yard at this time. I was amazed at the stuff that was left behind by the Tracker IV. Not only items that were deeper but items that were masked with iron that the Tracker IV could not pick out. The Tracker IV was ok but the E-trac surpassed it and then some.

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I'm sure questions like this have been asked but of course I'm asking again. I currently am using a Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter 2 and I am very happy with it. I don't seem to have a problem finding some goodies and like how its really simple to use. Now I have read probably over a hundred reviews and it just seems impossible to get the answers I'm looking for. On this site I feel like the majority of its users have a fairly large amount of sense from just their general trial and error. So here is the question. I'm looking for some people that have used a bounty hunter detector and then has either moved on to nicer detectors or have atleast gave other detectors a fair amount of swinging and decided to stick to bounty hunter. I know that the question leaves alot of space but I just need some personal experiences why you did or did not switch from bounty hunter. Now if you haven't used both and are one of the ones that just hate the muffler style detectors please don't come to argue about how they are junk. I'm just looking to get a 2nd detector and would like some real advice from people that experienced both. And one more request. If the detector you used is junk cause it was had say a faultly part, can you keep your complaining down a little. I read a handfull of those kind of reviews and I know lemons exist but I don't like baseing my decision around a few flukes in manufactoring.

Thanks Jesse

I started out with the BH SS 2 about 13 years ago. I did not know anything about detecting. I saw BH being sold at WalMart but did not want that cheap model. So I looked on line at BH website and bought a higher end model. SS2. It was way to complicated for me. I did not understand ground balance and all the other modes. I did find some cw bullets and a lot of nails. I got frustrated with it and put it away for several years. I ended up selling it on CL. I then read reviews on other brands and tried out some that friends had. I ended up getting a Detector Pro Pirate Pro and hated it. It seemed really cheaply made. I sold it a month later and bought a Tesoro Silver Umax. This was easy to use and still offered disc. I used this machine for several years and found many silver coins and other relics. Tesoro makes great machines with awesome warranty as and they are made in the USA! I used the Tesoro for several years and then I got tired of digging everything. So last summer I bought a Garrett AT Pro. This is the best detector I ever owned! It is easy to use, has a visual ID as well as a numerical display. It has 2 standard and 2 pro modes and you can make custom modes. I use the pro coin mode. I am still learning the machine but there are plenty of videos online to help. I have found some coins and relics and just recently found a cw bayonet handle with the AT Pro. I highly recommend the AT Pro or AT Gold from Garrett. I hope this helps you out.

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I like how simple it was to use. I was actually finding stuff with it too. Found my first civil war relics with it. Then I upgraded to a Minelab E-trac. I went over the same areas I have hunted out with the Tracker IV. Mostly my front yard at this time. I was amazed at the stuff that was left behind by the Tracker IV. Not only items that were deeper but items that were masked with iron that the Tracker IV could not pick out. The Tracker IV was ok but the E-trac surpassed it and then some.

Your comparing a 1700$ etrac with a 100$ bh tracker IV? LOL

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a bounty hunter Platinum, to me it was a great detector, I sold it because I "thought" that other detectors costing 2 or 4 times as much would give me more finds.
Truth be told, the Platinum is a teknetics with no manual ground balance, other than that it's a Gama 6000 and it is just as good. Other detectors were better and I wouldn't go back but I would NEVER say that the BH Platinum isn't a good machine.
Now I dont know the other bounty hunters well to make a judgement on them but from what I have read they are good starters.
If you are trying to make up your mind if you would have better luck with another detector/brand well yes and no.... Yes because other detectors might be a bit deeper searchers, because they can tell you better what is down there (goods or junk),...
And NO because the best detector is the one that's in the middle of your headphones, your brain, if you learn your machine like if it was an extension of your arm you will be good finding stuff, up to the limits of the detector.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The truth is Bounty hunters will find you the same stuff as the higher dollar machines just at a lesser depth. The difference is the features and depth of the machines . In most cases the higher end machines
Will get more depth Than the lower dollar machines. Now Bounty hunter does have some models that are deeper but they'll cost you a bit more than your 100 dollar units. I guess it all depends on what you want. A good overall machine like the Garrett At Pro will give you decent depth good sensitivity to gold weather proof abilities
And a great I'd system to be able to help identify targets. So a little more dough will get you a lot more machine. I got my At Pro like new from a lady and paid like half the price for it because it was used like new. so if you want a deeper higher dollar more versatile machine be on the lookout for one at a good price.

Last edited:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
It would not be considered normal human behavior to settle for a low-priced Bounty Hunter when there are better detectors for little more $$. If a man buys a Porsche and loves it, he isn't ever going to be happy after being reduced to driving a Geo. If he started with a Geo and went to the Porsche why would he go back to the Geo? People trade up, not down, so why would they decide "to stick to bounty hunter" after they step up to a better detector? Larry

Last edited:

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It comes down to performance. If bounty hunter had a 100 dollar machine for example that out performed your 1000 dollar minelabs or whites id swing one all day long. Now the funny thing is in lesser deep targets about 6 inches max the bounty hunter tracker IV does just that out perform manny high end machines. Now if they could come out with a tracker IV that hit ten inches on a coin or ring. Say good by to minelab or whites or any high end for that matter.

Justdigitoo7

Feb 10, 2013
I started out with the BH SS 2 about 13 years ago. I did not know anything about detecting. I saw BH being sold at WalMart but did not want that cheap model. So I looked on line at BH website and bought a higher end model. SS2. It was way to complicated for me. I did not understand ground balance and all the other modes. I did find some cw bullets and a lot of nails. I got frustrated with it and put it away for several years. I ended up selling it on CL. I then read reviews on other brands and tried out some that friends had. I ended up getting a Detector Pro Pirate Pro and hated it. It seemed really cheaply made. I sold it a month later and bought a Tesoro Silver Umax. This was easy to use and still offered disc. I used this machine for several years and found many silver coins and other relics. Tesoro makes great machines with awesome warranty as and they are made in the USA! I used the Tesoro for several years and then I got tired of digging everything. So last summer I bought a Garrett AT Pro. This is the best detector I ever owned! It is easy to use, has a visual ID as well as a numerical display. It has 2 standard and 2 pro modes and you can make custom modes. I use the pro coin mode. I am still learning the machine but there are plenty of videos online to help. I have found some coins and relics and just recently found a cw bayonet handle with the AT Pro. I highly recommend the AT Pro or AT Gold from Garrett. I hope this helps you out.

I started with the bh pioneer 101 it works then upgradedto the bh land star lots more features pinpointing ect. That machine works better then I upgraded to the mine lab xterra 305 what im getting at I started with a ford pinto it got me from a to b and ended up with a pretty nice ride I hope this helps keep a diggin dude

x512x

Nov 30, 2012
My first detector was the bounty hunter lonestar an too think I actually bought that haha upgraded to the at pro an love it

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I built my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd detectors in 1971.. No schematic, but they all worked anyway. Lucky me...:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions