Need research help-Alachua County

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm trying to research the history of US Highway 441 from Marion/Alachua County line north into Micanopy and have gotten stuck, maybe someone can help by recommending where I can find new info.

What I know so far is that this stretch of road that is now US 441 was previously Fl Highway 25. In 1925 it was slated to be upgraded and paved and in 1926 it was completed. The road is part of the "Old Florida Heritage Highway."

Prior to it being Fl Hwy 25 I can't find any info.

While at the Micanopy Hist. Museum I was told that DeSoto used the Indian and game trail that eventually evolved into 441 during his exploration of Florida from Tampa Notheast through what is now Alachua county.

I can find maps with the trail/road marked out, but can't find any records addressing the evolution of this trail.

William Bartram, a naturalist and explorer of significance in this area in the Colonial era, as well as Moses Levy, a prominent land owner and local citizen, are known to have traveled this stretch of road, as well as the Seminole Indians and military troops traveling between Ocala's forts King and Drane and Fort Micanopy (previously Fort Defiance, and previous to that the Indian town of Cuscowilla that is now Micanopy.

So there is a lot of interesting stories that are untold about this stretch of road that's about 3 miles long from the county line into Micanopy.

With it being the 500 year anniversary of DeSoto's exploration and 150 year anniversary of the Civil War there is lots of talk about who visited the area, but little about the trail/road.

The road passes Lake Tuscawilla as it runs south from Micanopy, through a Hammock of the same name onto MiCintosh and Orange lake.

I'd like to connect the 1925 information to more accounts going back into history. I'll going to be scouring the Rand MCNally Road Atlases from 1925 to the advent of the automobile, but need help getting solid info from the horse and carriage eras.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the flagler railroad was the only land route going south before 441 was built. you might research the flagler railroad too, and it might lead to some info on your search about the 441 highway.

OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've already done the railroad research. The Railroad ran from Micanopy east then south-totally missing this section of road. Bellamy road is also too far east to have utilized this stretch.

The trail shows up on old maps from DeSoto to Bartram through the Seminole Wars, then in 1925 it gets named FL Hwy 25 and in 1949 becomes US 441. Lots of large gaps where it's talked about but not by name.

Anytime someone went south to Ocala (Ft King or Ft Drane) from Micanopy- that was likely the route they took since it is south from Micanopy, skirts the east edge of Lake Tuscawilla and stays west of Orange lake. It's still a nice scenic country road though well paved now. I loved riding my motorcycle on that stretch of road.

I do love a good mystery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions