need some advice on scrap metal

shemp4

Jun 17, 2005
Ocean Springs, Ms.
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO
hi everyone, i need some advice on a job that was offered to me , a gentleman i know would like me to clean his property. he has a roofless barn(katrina) about 40 x 100 filled with you name it. all types of scrap. what would you do this job for? i was thinking my back and truck for 50% does this seem fair to both parties? also should i bring only one type of metal to the scap yard at once? any advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance. joe

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Given that you are going to be doing all the work, 50 / 50 is perfectly good. Call a junkyard directly to come pick the stuff up and see what they give you .vs. what it's really worth... nuff said.

As far as only one metal per trip, no, bad move. They will weigh everything anyways, so why make unnecessary trips. Gas is expensive. Load your vehicle down with whatever it can safely hold and make the haul to the scrap yard. Get your cash and go for the next load.

When I make a pilgramage to the scrap heap, ill fill up the truck and haul it all down there, I figure if im making the trip I might as well recoup every penny I can for the gas.

Also, watch carefully the weight and the prices offered and what they write down / put on the final receipt.

Some scrap yards are very honest, others are crooked bastards who will screw you any which way then can.

Aaron

OP
OP
shemp4

shemp4

Jun 17, 2005
Ocean Springs, Ms.
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO
thanks for the replies, the only reason i thought of one metal per trip was to reduce handling this scrap over and over. for instance there is about 12 riding mowers, i figured that would be one load. if i had the room at my house most of this would come home with me and parted out. another example is the pile of parking meters (about 60), i could probably clean them and sell them on e-bay for 10-20 each, but that would take forever. thanks again. joe

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Joe, open the parking meters up and see if there are any coins in them.
A junkman will give probably a nickel a pound at BEST for them, as steel scrap. maybe 15 cents a pound as dirty cast aluminum.

Sell them on e bay for that 20 bucks each, probably a lot more and get more cash from them.

aaron

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
Joe,

I guess it depends on how much time you have to put into it vs how much money you are looking to recoup. If the mowers are in runable condition then that could be a hellava yard sale if you can sort through that stuff first (and the guy lets you). Otherwise good luck, keep us posted on what you get. 50/50 seems ok to me I guess. It is his stuff but if you're doin' all the work?

good luck
Rumblebelly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread