Need some advice please

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
They're probably all losers, but I'd check them anyway. You never know. And wouldn't you rather know for sure than have any possible lingering doubts? But again, don't get your hopes up.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
I would still open them. I have seen many boxes with marked coins and deeper in the box you will find silver. I think the chances a pretty high that the box is a skunk but it never hurts to open all the rolls.

65GT350

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kevo said:
I got two boxes today from a bank and I'm noticing a lot of "P" marks with a perm. marker. i have opened 13 rolls and have found about 9 or 10 coins like that. Would you all still open the rest of the rolls or just take them to the bank? I'm pretty sure these are all the rejects somebody turned it.
I just got 3/4 of a box the other night and looked at them last night. Most were new, many were marked. But I found one 1964 half in there so it was not a total bust. (oh, also a beautiful clad proof)

go for it and give a quick look through.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also would check them. Many may be rejects, but the company that boxes them up will mix them up with other halves, so you may still have some keepers in there. It is better to be safe than sorry, and if it is a skunk box all you are out of is a little time.

bama #1

Dec 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their are a lot of post about people finding marks on the coins. I wonder why their doing that?

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
Cyberdan,were these coins that you had marked and got back or was it someone elses mark?

Was it just one type of mark or different ones from possibly different hunters?

Could you please post a pic of the mark(s).Thanks.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bama #1 said:
Their are a lot of post about people finding marks on the coins. I wonder why their doing that?

I mark the edges of all my coins. I toss them in a wooden cradle I made, line them up and put one stripe with a perm marker (blue - dries to purple) this takes less than 5 seconds per roll.

I want to know if I ever start getting my own searched coins back. When I start getting a high percentage back it is time to look for a new source.

So far I have gotten back 1 coin I marked out of over $20000

I have gotten rolls of coins that had several marks on them and still gotten silver out of the roll.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
schramm said:
Cyberdan,were these coins that you had marked and got back or was it someone elses mark?

Was it just one type of mark or different ones from possibly different hunters?

Could you please post a pic of the mark(s).Thanks.

Last night they were someone elses mark. I think they were from a couple of different hunters. Can't post a pic cause they are all re-wrapped and in the trunk of my car. In one hour they will all be sitting under some teller's counter. ;) In five hours I will start my weekend by picking up my usual two boxes at BofA. ;D ;D ;D Already got $600 for bank hopping tomorrow morning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread