Upvote 0

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been metal detecting for about 6 months now and love doing it . My question is I hunted some property this past weekend and felt I covered it pretty good and found 25 wheat pennys from 1937 to 47 and some clad but no silvers is it possible that I missed them or that they are not there I just can't imagine that many Wheaties and no dimes or quarters .

In general, where there are that many wheaties it's fairly safe to assume there's some silver there as well. But it's no guarantee. And it's certainly possible that your coil just hasn't been over them yet. So my advice would be to hunt that spot some more and don't give up. You're on the right track. :thumbup:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's possible that someone before you just searched for silver. I knew a couple of guys years ago that did that. If it read silver, they dug it, but nothing lower.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything is possible now of I was,u id go back with a larger coil of u already didnt since it sounds like uve cleared the top of any junk & ur like in the middle now but besides a bigger coil to try & get more depth id go right after it rains out ley the ground get moist it'll better ur odds of getting deeper signals alloys in the metals will stick.out more to the detector thus ull get more depth

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with christ000 bigger coil, wet ground, also I have found 25 or more to 1, ratio of modern pennies to modern dimes or quarters plenty of times, the silver has to be there, but who knows what the ratios of pennies are until they start diggin'? Some sites have better ratios than others, at least you know your site is not hunted out! If you are walking east to west as you scan, after you finish, scan the whole site again walking north to south. Orientation of the coins in the ground can mask their presence from one direction and not from the other. Also I get more deep coins if I overlap my scan widths. If I was in an area like yours I would stand in the same spot for three scans then move ahead a little and then three scans again. I know that sounds boring but beats wondering if I left silver behind! HH

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same problem at my hot spot. Slow down your walking, go back over spots, and try again. You'll be amazed what you've missed. I've hunted the same spot probably almost 10 times, and I still find wheats almost every time, and finally got my first silver going over the same spot I did many times before. And yes, wet ground helps also. Give the rain time to soak down deeper though, it takes a while. Happy Hunting and good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread