Need some beach advice

Well Mike, It's not really a warning as much as a fact.Low end detectors do not deal with salt very well!
Try it and see.....most likely are going to get alot of chattering and falseing.
So when you find yourself back in the drysand have a scoop with you that sifts quickly.Like the Chicken wire style.That way you get your target quick and can move on to the next.
Just have fun with it,and by the way,there are more targets in the dry,although there will also be more junk...pull tabs..poptops...but
there are plenty of good targets too,rings...chains..coins.....Good luck!

Hi,

If the sand is white, you shoud do fine on the dry area where you can find a lot of "keepers". follow basic detecting rules.

a)cover all holes
b)recover all trash found when digging ie pulltabs, bottlecaps foil etc
c)avoid annoying the other tourists by detecting to close to them

There are a number of rules but these should do in the beach.
Survey area, if the volleyball court is in the sand and vacant give it a shot, obesreve where the tourists congregate to sunbath, detect the area during sundown. make a grid pattern so you do not overlook the keepers, I assume you know how to sweep the coil properly, if not, try to sweep it left to right or vice versa making sure it does not rise at the end of the sweep, try to sweep it consistently close to the sand.
If the detector does not false or become erratic at the wet area, check the tide chart for the low tide and give it a try, observe where the people stay at the water, and when its low tide detect the area. Since you dont have a disc mode, dig all...a good detector beach detector is highly recomended but there is always the element of begginers luck. HH

God bless,

Jose

Thanks guys I am on my way! I will report back later with the results.

Mike

Actually i had a low end bounty hunter and it did great in wet sand and false rocks because it wasnt very sensitive, so you never know till you beach-test it.

OK, here's the report--if the sand is wet, forget it! Everything on my Prizm II reads as 50 cents. You would think that someone just ran down the beaches throwing half dollars everywhere! Even when hunting the dry sand over several different parks and different days, I found only a few cents here and there, and hardly any bottle caps or other trash (we have clean beaches!). I guess until I get a better detector, I better stay a "landlubber."

Mike

Mike, I have the same results on the beaches here. Not nearly as much use as say, California beaches. I would suspect that is the culprit. I do the best in the parking lots near the beaches, rather than the beaches themselves.

Up north there is actually one beach that gets enough use to warrant a lifeguard stand like you see down south. I forget which one it is, but it has been used heavily for many years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back