need some experience eyes

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good afternoon.. I came up with something very interesting! this came from a site where are you already recovered a 17th century marked olive jar rim. I have not had a professional look at it yet. it appears to be rose cut. it's hard to tell from the photos but it is mounted. what you see surrounding the stone is a sand crust over black tarnish. I have made no attempt to clean it in any way. I have visions of purple sapphire dancing in my head..ha ha.. I'm sure amethyst is more probable. I was just hoping someone might be able to provide some input... thank you all

ForumRunner_20120710_144553.png

ForumRunner_20120710_144652.png

I also have a question on the best way to carefully remove the crust while trying to leave any detail that may be left. I briefly read about using a 10 to 30 percent formic acid solution. I would imagine liquid would be the gentlest way to go. anything I can do at home?

ForumRunner_20120710_144735.png

Last edited:

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Dunno. There was an amethyst on the Guadalupe that was pretty good in a fantastic meso-american artist gold ring. Not unheard of. Probably not a purple sapphire though. I haven't seen one yet set in Spanish shipwreck jewelry. If it is set in silver also... The bottom looks really good and may be foiled.

Odds are the ring is toasted, but whatever is left of it would be pretty interesting, seeing as how this is a chance to look at a real uncommon survivor from the jewelry of that time period.

My guess is it will be a smooth ring setting. Some of these had chisel carving or file work, so it might have some.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my thoughts exactly... I'm going to take my time and do this right... I hope. getting the stone tested tomorrow. I will post the results

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Looking at the first picture again, there doesn't seem to be any shank. I would say we may be looking at the bottom of the stone, but there appears to be a setting on the other side of it.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
This brings up a question going around in my mind for a few weeks. Somebody was selling a chunk of coral and some loose emeralds, trade beads, and white quartz stones on e-bay a few weeks ago. Anybody know who this was?

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strange question to put on my thread... would you mind explaining yourself.. or mabey start your own thread about that.... do you have anything else to add but that?

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Someone was selling a piece of coral and some stones and beads on e-bay recently that they ascribed loosely to one of the 1715 sites. They said they found a piece of coral with some beads sticking out of it and cut away at it to get out about 8 emeralds and 4 white clear stones, as well as some trade beads.

They seemed all unset and the story was pretty farfetched. I wondered if it was some old 1970's material being sold off because the person was getting old.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you are somehow making the connection in your head that im associated with that then say so...please dont use my thread to beat around the bush about some crap like that. I have no Idea what your speaking of and frankly dont care.I dont want to seam harsh but it was rude of you to plaster your crap on my post. not that I need to but here is some evidence that im not story telling...

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check out my water logged fingers
ForumRunner_20120711_071812.png

ForumRunner_20120711_071943.png

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
step 1 the jeweler

ForumRunner_20120711_102902.png

I know now that it is amethyst. I got some good contact information for a forensic gemologist to see if we can narrow down where it came from. now that I know it is a genuine stone I have higher confidence about putting it in context with the rest of the items from the site.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really cool! does it have some metal in it, undernieth the encrustation? be very careful with that and maybe take it to the fishers for advice. sometimes items that are not cleaned and left in there encrusted state are worth alot more.
keep us posted.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes there is some metal. the fishers maybe a good idea. I'll keep posting

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Nice you can see part of the shank in that new picture. It also looks like it has a floral or braided crown setting. It's a pretty interesting recovery.

GG.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good eye on the setting..
I was unsure a photo would pick that up. I'm actually headed back to the site now. thunderstorms around it should be interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread