frederick,md
Detector(s) used
whites 5900 & mxt 300

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
I always start with warm water and soap. Olive oil works well on coppers that have gunk on them. Just let them soak in it for a few days.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Glad you ask this. I didn't know about the olive oil. I've just been soaking mine is soapy water.

OP
OP
dasdigger

dasdigger

Feb 1, 2008
frederick,md
Detector(s) used
whites 5900 & mxt 300
yeah i do the soap and water thing but ill have to try the olive oil thanks for the advice

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
The 1787 Jersey I have pictured here was black when I found it. I soaked it for about a week and wiped it off with a papertowel.

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
As a long time collector I know cleaning coins is a no-no, people pay for the aged antique looking patinas.. If they are really old and valuable, and you scrub them clean til they shine it will drop in value. If your unsure of the value start with warm water, liquid soap or detergent, and an old toothbrush. If you can determine that they are not valuable then soak them in a vinegar/salt/water solution. I think this works best on copper. Separate the coins first!! Don't mix the copper with clad or silver or they will ALL come out looking like copper..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread