Need some help on old Mason jars.

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought these jars yesterday at a garage sale and really need some help on the identification. They are blue glass and the only writing is "THE Mason" with the lids both saying "ball". I looked online and I cannot find anything on Ball jars that just say "THE Mason". Any help on identification would be greatly appreciated.

The dairy bottle is from Golden Arrow Dairy on California. Couldn't find much info on that one either, so if your inclined to supply facts about that one I would be that much more appreciative!

IMG_0589.JPG IMG_0590.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 164

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:
OP
OP
mammoth29

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, Thanks for the information! Now I just need to find out about those Ball jars.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool, Thanks for the information! Now I just need to find out about those Ball jars.

Hey mammoth,

I'm not a good jar guy, but I think these could be good ones. I think some of our members may have a Redbook #10. Would you please show the rims of the jars, by the seams, and the bases, too, please. Are they ground rims? I'm assuming they are both half gallon... They look Ball blue, and appear to be shoulder seals, so I'm guessing 1910ish.

"The following jars also came to mind, but I am not sure if they make the list or not. Maybe they just go on another list of "rarest" jars. They are certainly on my most desirable list.

Ball 3-L (packer threads / tin lind, 1 known in museum and 1 in private collection)
Ball The Mason (The within loop of M, beaded neck) ..."
List of Highest valued Ball jars in FAQ's Forum

This one went unsold @ BINland: RARE "The Mason" Olive Green Half Gallon Mason Fruit Canning Jar | eBay

$(KGrHqZHJEEFCdY7819HBQn,u,Rn(Q~~60_57.JPG

OP
OP
mammoth29

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help everyone! I am not a bottles guy, but I am having a fun time trying to figure these out and I am fairly sure my treasure hunting will now include bottles!

I have these posted on the Garage Sale Finds forum too and was posed a question must like the one Surf asked on here, something about the rims. I must admit I do not know what ground lips or ground rims are, can someone please educate me? Also, I will try to get more pictures later today that I can post.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
mammoth29

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some additional pics-

IMG_0600.JPG IMG_0601.JPG IMG_0602.JPG IMG_0603.JPG

Lot's of air bubbles in one of them.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the additional photos, mammoth,

Yours are early machine made, smooth lipped models. Maybe a Redbook owner will look in and tell us more...

Ball%20factory%201888.jpg

OP
OP
mammoth29

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours are early machine made, smooth lipped models. Maybe a Redbook owner will look in and tell us more...

Thanks for the info Surf!! I do hope someone with a Redbook can chime in, I'm thinking of selling one of them and I'm wanting to know approximate value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread