Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare Florsheim one of a kind printing plate!!!

So I just found this very old printing plate. It's made of solid lead. I put some ink on it to stamp on paper what it said on top. Says for the man who cares. I did some research and found it yay Florsheim shoes used that logo. Just can't seem to find the ad or how old it actually is. The company was founded in 1892 I think. Any ideas? And if someone can find that as for me tat would be amazing lol. Thanks!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
Upvote 9

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
While waiting - I would shoot off a e-mail (with picture) to Florsheim Shoes, Inc. Established 1892. The site has a "timeline" and also a "chat" feature - heck, hit the "Chat" and tell them what you have. Now, the most important thing to remember is WE WANT TO KNOW WHAT THEY SAY! :laughing7:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The car in the ad is from the 1930s... separate headlights and fenders are the give away. The shoe style is also from that period too, so I would assume that the plate is from the 1930s.

I like the way you have "rare" and "one of a kind" in the title.

Best of luck to you sir!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before the advent of the computer and layout programs such as pagemaker type was made on machines( such as the linotype) that made type using molten lead. These and other types of ads were also made of lead and printed using letterpress machines. After the type was used for printing it was melted back down for reuse. Usally ads such as this were used until the next campaign was started. Just looking I would say it's from 1920's-1940's or so. There is like most other things a collectors market.

Last edited:
OP
OP
olekyground

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug an old printing plate a while back and Bramblefind found the same plate printed in a few newspapers from 1887. That made my day, hopefully you will find yours in a old newspaper as well.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find.

OP
OP
olekyground

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this awesome Florsheim shoes printing plate a few days ago. Lead based. I have searched everywhere for the actual ad but can't find it. Was really hoping u guys could help me search and find the actual ad. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks fellow diggers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with finding your plate advertisement vs the Cenol fly plate is ....Florsheim has been in continuous business for so many years and then it has multiple shoe styles each and every year with possible multiple ads for each style. So while maybe not impossible it will be difficult

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find,,
I would contact Florsheim's Corporate Office. They may direct you to Florsheim's Advertising Archives Division.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread