need some help....Pictures added

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
I bought can of marbles today... I have many sizes an many different color varieties... but what I am on here for right now is to ask how to find a pontil scar (if it would have one) an how to tell for sure the marble is out of round? I am fairly sure alot of the marbles are out of round.. which brings me to the next question if it is out of round does that mean they are older an not machine made? If so do they carry a higher value? sorry for so many questions I am very new to marbles... thanks for any an all help!!!

Update: still don't have them sized... I hope these pictures are good enough to ID...

Attachments

• Marblesyardsale 004.jpg
    Marblesyardsale 004.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 345
  • Marblesyardsale 005.jpg
    Marblesyardsale 005.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 350
  • Marblesyardsale 007.jpg
    Marblesyardsale 007.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 347
  • Marblesyardsale 008.jpg
    Marblesyardsale 008.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 350
  • Marblesyardsale 009.jpg
    Marblesyardsale 009.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 342
  • Marblesyardsale 011.jpg
    Marblesyardsale 011.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 351
  • Marblesyardsale 010.jpg
    Marblesyardsale 010.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 349
  • Marblesyardsale 012.jpg
    Marblesyardsale 012.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 350
  • Marblesyardsale 006.jpg
    Marblesyardsale 006.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 357
  • Marblesyardsale 013.jpg
    Marblesyardsale 013.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 344
  • Marblesyardsale 014.jpg
    Marblesyardsale 014.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 346
  • Marblesyardsale 017.jpg
    Marblesyardsale 017.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 344
OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Re: need some help....

duffytrash said:
look at this for some pontil definations...http://www.akronmarbles.com/glossary_of_marble_related_terms.htm#P
a marble that is out of round will wobble or not roll straight...collectors wont pay high prices for marbles not round...take some pics ill tell ya what ya got...
will take photos later..right now I am trying to size them... need help with that also.. my question is.. I bought a template with a bunch of sized circles in it.. when I size the marbles do I use the 1st hole they fit snug in or will I used the 1st hole they fall thru?? I know this may sound like a dumb question but I know nothing about marbles..thanks!

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river

i use a set of calipers...but if it dont fit you cant aquit......those templates always get lost for me...

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

duffytrash said:
i use a set of calipers...but if it dont fit you cant aquit......those templates always get lost for me...
so I should use the 1st hole where they fall thru?

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

my template idea didn't work...wasn't size correctly for marbles.. I don't know how to read calipers... any idea how to size the marbles? I will also need to know how to photograph marbles to get really good pic for everyone to see... I think I may have a few good ones...

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river

what you could try wold to lay out a ruler and use two popsicyle sticks or toothpicks pinch the marble and read the ruler....you could also read the caliper on the ruler...you can get a cheap one at the dollar store.....

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

duffytrash said:
what you could try wold to lay out a ruler and use two popsicyle sticks or toothpicks pinch the marble and read the ruler....you could also read the caliper on the ruler...you can get a cheap one at the dollar store.....
cheap what? an what dollar store? dollar tree, dollar general?

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river

yup...... dollar tree or one of them tool stores that sells chinese stuff....i cant remember the name right now...but those plastic calipers are pretty cheap.....

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
i see alot of vitro and marble king...a few peltiers...is that first marble you posted opaque?? can light shine thru it???...i dont see anything too valuable in the pics...unless that first pic is opaque....those cateyes are common and everybody got em...nice collection starter...i would put em all in my dollar bin....people would surely pick out many of em....but alas theyre common....if that first one s opaque it might be a peltier rebel and could bring 20-30$....it looks kinda frosted tho...i like em!!! they all look to be machine mades from the 30-70s...so theres no pontils on em...

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
if you can see thru it its worth 2-3$....it was made later in the peltier production..if opaque it wouldve been called a national line rainbo and this one is just a rainbo...keep lookin!!!

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
duffytrash said:
if you can see thru it its worth 2-3$....it was made later in the peltier production..if opaque it wouldve been called a national line rainbo and this one is just a rainbo...keep lookin!!!
those pictures of the marbles in question are in direct sunlight... what do you think? maybe what I think is see thru isn't.... as I said before I know knothing about marbles....

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Road Dog said:
Agree with Duffy. Check those Cats out for aventurine. Second marble you show (pic 3) looks Vitro.
Pic 3 an pic 9 are the same marble... very hard to photograph... color is very light like it was a end of the day marble.... what are aventurine cat eyes? btw way there are 5 shooter cat's eyes in the one pic..the blue shooter has what looks to be stones in it

OP
OP
creeper71

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Road Dog said:
Especially in the greens. Look at them in sunlight for the glittery, shimmery stuff. Shooter probably has potstones in it.
yeah I thought it might be potstones,but since they was machine made I wasn't sure if it could be potstones...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread