rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this stone today which is a artifact (scraper) but I dont know what type of stone it is. Its whitish and feels greasy when you rub on it. Its translucent to the light but not completely. Its not quartz I have found plenty of quartz in the past. Found in a creek in north GA. The first piece is the best but they all feel the same to the touch. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 100_4345.JPG
    100_4345.JPG
    324.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 100_4325.JPG
    100_4325.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 100_4324.JPG
    100_4324.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_4344.JPG
    100_4344.JPG
    423.3 KB · Views: 99

Rockhunter1620

Feb 1, 2012
S.E. Mi.
Detector(s) used
F-75 S.E.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Rock,
Could you try an do a hardness test? But I'm thinkin you have there more so a particular rock type than a mineral like quartz, it very much
might be marble, me thinks. I do know that N. Ga. has several marble quarries, it is to some degree, relatively abundant in that region.

RH

Upvote 0

Rockhunter1620

Feb 1, 2012
S.E. Mi.
Detector(s) used
F-75 S.E.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rock
Looks like Opal to me. It will be slightly softer than chalcedony, have a greasy feel, concave fracture, and a vitreous luster.
Opal comes in all the same flavors as chalcedony but it has a little water which makes it softer.
Opal from Georgia, USA

Hey BH, I had considered opal, chalcedony, or even quartz, but Rock describes it as bein an artifact, flint knapped cutting tool, and it looks as such.
White creole marble found in N. Ga. has a hardness up to 5 which makes it knappable and would hold an edge after some repeated use, and I think the
marble was or is more abundant in that region than opal or chalcedony. But it could be any one of these things.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I was hoping for Opal but it is probably marble or chalcedony. It shows some work on it as flakes removed from a ancient knapper. There was allot of black flint cobbles every where in the creek which is usually the Indians choice to make artifacts with so I was confused on why they picked the white rock. I only found 1 black flake. Thank you for your help on it. Its .75 inches thick on the big side and has some creek stain on it. I thought maybe even slag on a couple of pieces but they had a cortex on them so I dont think so. If anyone else has any ideas please do tell, rock

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this stone today which is a artifact (scraper) but I dont know what type of stone it is. Its whitish and feels greasy when you rub on it. Its translucent to the light but not completely. Its not quartz I have found plenty of quartz in the past. Found in a creek in north GA. The first piece is the best but they all feel the same to the touch. Any ideas?

Looks to be quartz.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt know quartz had a greasy texture? I know your the man when it comes to rocks Brian and dont doubt it but I have just never felt a quartz that had a creamy, greasy, slippery texture to it. Heck it almost slipped rite out of my hand when I was holding it. Is there a name for it other than quartz?

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt know quartz had a greasy texture? I know your the man when it comes to rocks Brian and dont doubt it but I have just never felt a quartz that had a creamy, greasy, slippery texture to it. Heck it almost slipped rite out of my hand when I was holding it. Is there a name for it other than quartz?

In the second pic I see conchoidal fracture on the specimen, which is indicative for quartz. And the other other specimens look to be microcrystalline quartz. I don't know the act locality in which you found the mineral, but if you found them in a creek, they could feel a little "slick" due to possibly algae growth on the surface of the mineral.

I will think more on this mineral but I'm about 90 percent sure that it's quartz.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK well the reason I asked is cause I know artifact hunters call flint different names and geologist call all flint, flint. I didnt know if it was like that with quartz also maybe a different name other than just quartz. Its very smooth and slick even dry. Thats about all I can say on it. I do find quartz but it is a grainy texture. Thanks for your help, rock

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread