NEED SOME HELP WITH I D

lost crow

Jan 26, 2011
Texas
I found this object this weekend in a plowed field near the Texas Ok border. For the most part it appears whole, any ideas would be appriciated. Good luck in all your hunts. FINDS 262.jpg FINDS 263.jpg FINDS 261.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Broken rock, keep looking

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
boy...I don't know about that, is it the right kind of rock? It sure looks like a spoke shave to me.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any flakes removed to achive the working edge of what would be a spokeshave.
Mabey an inclusion came out of the stone there.
Its hard to tell in the photos but I think I might see some pressure flaking on the outer edges of that piece.. if that is the case it could definitely been used as a spokeshave.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lost crow

lost crow

Jan 26, 2011
Texas
I found this object after walking about an hour in a huge plowed field. It was the only stone of any kind found, and appears to be flint. The outer edge has fine chips removed leaving a sharp edge. It seems to be worked to me, but I'm no expert.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let the thread sit for a couple of days and see what others think on it. It is a strange shape.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Lost crow - it looks like a spoke shaves. What we'd like to see to be more definitive is a good picture of the inside of the crescent shaped indention (the area that potentially was the spoke shave). If it's a spokeshave for the most part it will be unifacially flaked in the working area creating a steep bevel to one side. I'm guessing you're good to go here, but hard to tell without a close up of that area.

Thanks,
Twitch

OP
OP
lost crow

lost crow

Jan 26, 2011
Texas
I was finally able to get some more pictures up. The very inside of the hole looks pretty crusty, see what you think.

FINDS 267.jpg FINDS 265.jpg FINDS 265.jpg FINDS 266.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the side you are holding in the last pic might have some work on it but not the inside of the curve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread