Need some help with my 5x8 AT Pro coil... acting strange

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I went to a friend's house to do some hunting but when I went and turned my AT Pro on it was going crazy (with my 5x8 coil on the machine). It would sound off all the time like I was around a power plant or something. I had to turn my sensitivity down to under half just to get it to stop sounding off. I did a factory reset by turning the unit off then holding the start button until it beeped twice but no change. I was able to hunt for about 45 minutes but that was all I could take. Today I went out to a couple places and it did the same thing. When I got home I removed the coil cover and washed both the coil and cover...no change. I tried plugging it in and out a couple of times as well as moving the wire up the shaft a little more also with no change. I then put the stock 8.5x11 coil on and it acted like it should with no crazy noises all the time. I put the 5x8 on one more time just to check it again and it has a constant 53 on the screen and acts as if it is hitting on a target all the time. I called Garrett and left a message but I was hoping someone here might have an answer as to why it is acting like this. I forgot how much bigger the 8.5x11 coil was and want my 5x8 back on as soon a possible :) Thanks

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like moisture in the 5x8 or bad.You prolly need to send it back either way.I feel your pain,love the 5x8.

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love it as well and I can't believe how big the stock coil seems after having the 5x8 on the machine :) I am sure I will hear back from Garrett after the weekend.

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spoke to the people at Garrett yesterday and after a short talk they said that they were going to send me a new coil !!! What a great company. All that they asked was that I put it on the machine to make sure that the coil was the problem. If the new coil makes the machine work like it should I just send them the broken one back in the box the new one came in... postage paid :) Wow now that is customer service

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome. Maybe something got left internally by mistake. New is good!!!!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A BIG thank you to Garrett as my replacement coil showed up in record time and my AT Pro is whole again now that it has the 5x8 coil back on it :) If you are thinking about a new detector and are on the fence about which one to get...get one made by GARRETT. Their customer service is second to no one! Fantastic

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am impressed by garretts cust.svs as well.that being said I hear great things about all the u.s. companies.A buddy of mine had an exemplory expierience with whites.A tip of the hat to these companies for sure !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread