Need some help with this one (ebay)

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
I sold something on eBay and delivery confirmation shows that it was delivered. The buyer open the case that he sees that it was delivered however he did not get the package. Now he wants me to refund. Would you refund him the $30 or would you tell him to eat it. I mean eBay's going to side with me most likely. However he can still leave me negative feedback if he wants to. What would you do?

Greysquirrel

Greenie
Oct 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a copy of your Proof of Delivery, scan it and email it to him and be polite and say that your records show that it was delivered and that if he did not get it go to the carrier and take it up with them.
Don't tell him you think he is a lying SOS because that will come back to haunt you even if you think he is.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at his history... feedback, what he buys, etc. Will at least give you a sense of whether he's being honest. If he spends quite a bit chances are he isn't trying to take you for $30.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you feel the need to eat it then I would compromise and refund $15. But you did what you had to do. You have no control over an item once shipped and delivered. The resolution center will side in your favor due to delivery confirmation. What you might do in the future is offer buyer paid insurance. Then if something happens its all on the buyer. Do you think this customer would be a repeat buyer if you gave a total refund?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feedback from a buyer is removed or adjusted automatically in the following situations:

• A buyer is suspended for behavior we find warrants removing all negative and neutral Feedback left for sellers. If any member is suspended within 90 days of registration, all Feedback left by that member is removed.

• An eBay Buyer Protection case is decided in a seller's favor.

• There's a Global Shipping Program error. We may also remove or adjust low ship cost or ship time detailed seller ratings.

• A buyer has shown a pattern of leaving disproportionately high rates of low Feedback or low detailed seller ratings.

• A seller qualifies for an automatic 5-star detailed seller ratings, in the following categories, when:

Shipping and handling charges:

• A seller offered free shipping, and we know the buyer chose that option.

Shipping time:

• A seller specified same business day or one business day handling, uploaded tracking information within one business day of receiving cleared payment, and the item showed a delivery time of 4 days from receiving payment.

• A seller's item was designated as Fast 'N Free, the seller uploaded tracking information, and the item was delivered within the stated handling time plus the estimated delivery time as specified by the carrier.

Communication:

• A seller specified same business day or 1 business day handling, and uploaded tracking information within 1 business day.

• At the time the buyer leaves Feedback:
      • There are no member to member messages initiated (Best Offers, Second Chance Offers, invoices, or invoice requests don't affect automatic 5-star eligibility), and

• There are no eBay Buyer Protection or PayPal Purchase Protection cases opened before Feedback was left.

• There are no requests for contact information between the buyer and the seller.

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a copy of your Proof of Delivery, scan it and email it to him and be polite and say that your records show that it was delivered and that if he did not get it go to the carrier and take it up with them.
Don't tell him you think he is a lying SOS because that will come back to haunt you even if you think he is.

Yep ... this. I wouldn't give a refund in this scenario. The item was given to the post office and they show it delivered. Case closed.

No one wants a negative, however, if you've done everything as you should then I think that it's a mistake to lose money at the potential threat of a negative (that likely you can get removed if it did materialize).

OP
OP
I

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
Thank you everyone for the your replies. To top off this one I have someone who bought something else that wants free shipping to Sweden. I'm just gonna request to cancel their order not to bother with that garbage.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't like dealing with international shipping issues either so I set up an "exclusion list" for all of my ebay listings. Basically, people from anywhere other than the continental US can't buy stuff from me. I know that limits the number of buyers but that is something I'm willing to accept to avoid the hassles.

OP
OP
I

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
If their mind playing priority Mail with tracking I'm fine I'll ship it but if that's an option I don't want that well too bad. If you can't and short you end up eating it every time.

peavey5000

Greenie
Dec 7, 2011
Bradford,PA
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you sent this did you have it insured?, If so it falls back on the post office, takes a while to go through the refund process though. I sell alot on ebay and have found that its worth it to get the insurance even if it comes out of pocket just to protect myself, Although I have on a couple of sales had to eat the money to stop from getting a neg feedback just to insure my future sales and I just make it up on the next piece or two, even though it is not always easy to stomach knowing you are in the right..hope this helps

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it depends on the average volume you sell, the average price point you sell at and the value of the specific item. We strive for very high volume at a non-bargain price point. The primary concern is convincing shoppers that we are superior and therefore our higher prices are justified (which is honestly not entirely true - plenty of good dealers selling for less). That requires maintaining 100% or near 100% feedback - its a pure image thing. The volume allows issues like this to be dealt with by presuming honesty and refunding (the first time, anyway). That said, if an item is very expensive, I'd rather take the potential feedback hit then lose the cost of the item.

OP
OP
I

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
After talking with them, I refunded them back $15. Didn't really want to do it but $15 is not worth the negative feedback. But they have been blocked so they won't be shopping on my site anymore. I'm probably not high-volume we sell 100-120 things a month. This was at Goodwill there today.

image-2041976628.jpg

image-652952307.jpg

A nice signed first edition for 2.99.
So I'm not gonna stress out over the One i lost out on there will be more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread