Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi;

I'm a serendipity hunter when it comes to points so I have accumulated almost 2 dozen. I have seen where one fellow mounted his points to a driftwood plank which is a great idea for me due to limited wall space. I asked him how he had mounted his points but never got a response.

I was thinking of hot gluing the points to the plank but wanted to get some opinions first. Anyone mount points to wood and what do you use?

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
use small L-shaped screws or very small tack nails, or a glass lidded case with foam and cloth. if you glue them don't use something that will ruin the rock or seep into the pores if its not flint like. Hot glue or silicone caulk should be fine on most points. I really recommend staying away from glues though. Also look up museum wax maybe that could work? Someone else more knowledgeable like grim will chime in for sure I bet.

Last edited:

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mounted mine to a piece of driftwood last year. You may have seen mine in the past. I simply wrap the arrowhead around with knitting yarn over and over again so it's nice and snug. I could have done a much better job at hiding the string. Here is a photo of it. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493987503.882823.jpg

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot glue works for me.... Heat with a hair dryer to remove them

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elmers is best if you ever wanted to remove it warm water is all it takes and it dries clear. Get yourself a Riker frame and skip the glue.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I wouldn't mount anything to wood, or anything else for that matter, with glue. For one, I just never liked the look, and two, you are taking a chance of the glue drying out and them falling off and breaking. My suggestion is this, if you do glue them, mount them over a carpeted floor. If not you may end up with some broken pieces.

I would use the wooden trays with glass fronts and locks to put them in. You can get custom cases if you search or you can just buy regular ones made from several different types of wood. I prefer the Dark Walnut ones myself.

Here are some my cases hanging on the wall and these all stay put right where they are. The ones leaning up in the second pic do the same. Nothings moves and I think these look a lot better. JMO.

Attachments

• Pictures013.jpg
    Pictures013.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Pictures005.jpg
    Pictures005.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 82

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
If you've got mostly field finds and common pieces AND you don't mind not being able to handle them, then glue them and hang them.

If it's a rare point or something delicate OR you like to examine and handle the relic, a closing wood/glass case like Steve presented is a great option. What ever you do maybe put a note in the case or write on the back where you found them (county/state) for future generations to enjoy.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot glue rules. You can easily take it off if you wish and am sure it will look nice.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry I did not respond right away as some of my irons in the fire were hot.

My points are coastal SC Lowcountry finds and would be displayed on a narrow plank of driftwood (once I find one) as that is the space I have up on the wall over carpeted floor. I will leave space to add to the plank should I find more and it sounds like hot glue is the way to go.

Thanks for all the input!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoe Goo should work. I use it for allot of things

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like the thought of glue either depending on the point I would try drilling two small holes in the wood and tying a loop of fishing line over the point, tie the knot behind the wood and should be almost invisible, that's how I hung my buffalo horns and skull cap

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions