Need some opinions on selling.

Axecutioner

Nov 16, 2011
SLO, CA / LV, NV
Primary Interest:
Other
For all halves I find pre-65, I keep one of each date/mint mark in the best condition and sell the rest. I found someone on Craigslist willing to buy 90%'s $20 each and 40%'s for $10 each. I told him they're worth half that at best but he said he already knew that. :icon_scratch: I also said I only accept cash in person.

What do you think of this? Too good to be true or a great selling opportunity?

Upvote 0

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to good to be true. If you do meet with him or her then be it on your terms and your bank. :thumbsup:

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I would have my 45 with me:..in a public place.
Buy if he is really buying for double...send him my way! ;D

OP
OP
Axecutioner

Axecutioner

Nov 16, 2011
SLO, CA / LV, NV
Primary Interest:
Other
Good idea with doing it in a bank. I do have an iodine pen and I'll check the bills in the light too. I don't see what could go wrong. :dontknow:

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Axecutioner said:
Good idea with doing it in a bank. I do have an iodine pen and I'll check the bills in the light too. I don't see what could go wrong. :dontknow:

If it's to good to be true, he or she won't show up.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Axecutioner said:

As mentioned before, a robbery/scam etc. But you have to be careful in what you don't see. The buyer might only be the bait for you to show up. Another car would be watching you and might follow you home. If you have some for sale, you probably have more. At the very least, they know you have "their" money.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down is correct. Watch what is not readily there. Be cautious and careful. I had an incident myself so take care.

apush :read2:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, be careful. I did a C'list deal awhile back at my CU, that went okay, but you can't be too careful. Like others mentioned, might be wise to pack some heat. Just make sure yours is bigger. Maybe a machine gun or something.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
fistfulladirt said:
Yes, be careful. I did a C'list deal awhile back at my CU, that went okay, but you can't be too careful. Like others mentioned, might be wise to pack some heat. Just make sure yours is bigger. Maybe a machine gun or something.

Credit Unions much like Banks, you cannot carry a firearm into, even with a CCW.

You are best doing your transaction inside of a Police Station. If they wont do it, you know something is up.

JT10

Oct 29, 2010
The Mitten State
The_EE said:
fistfulladirt said:

Credit Unions much like Banks, you cannot carry a firearm into, even with a CCW.

Depends on your state. In Michigan CCW is legal in banks and CUs unless the bank has signs on the door specifically prohibiting it.

Dinero2005

Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Piledriver said:
What's wrong with Paypal ?

Am I missing something here?

x2

If you're the one insisting on cash in person why all the paranoia? Unless you're backing in with an armored truck it seems extreme to me to meet at a bank or police station. I don't see anything wrong with meeting at a Starbucks or other public place. And don't bring a firearm unless you're willing to use it. How much money is it really worth killing somebody over? Even if you're in the right think about how much you'll spend in attorney's fees defending yourself.

If you insist on meeting in person and receiving cash then it seems like he'd be the one that needs to be concerned that you're trying to rob him. You'll just have old coins and a teenage meth addict isn't interested in stealing your coins so he can sell them for meth. He want's cash.

I'm sorry if all of this paranoia stuff is some sort of CRH humor. I might have missed that too. :dontknow:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Dinero, I hope your naivete serves you well and keeps you safe, but to ignore the reality that people throughout the US (and other countries) die for a lot less every single day is reckless. Stay safe everyone. If it is too good to be true, it probably is.

P.S. I'm sure everyone has heard the national news story where a Marine veteran who has served 3 tours of duty was recently shot while trying to sell a gold necklace via CL. He only survived by sticking his fingers in his bullet wounds.

Dinero2005

Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think there's any question there is a risk involved. I may not have been clear on my point though. The OP said HE was the one insisting on cash and when dealing in cash I guess it's assumed you'd have to meet in person. Use paypal and the USPS and problem solved. The cost of those is a lot less then any risk you take planning on shooting at some teenage meth addict.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Dinero2005 said:
Piledriver said:
What's wrong with Paypal ?

Am I missing something here?

x2

If you're the one insisting on cash in person why all the paranoia? Unless you're backing in with an armored truck it seems extreme to me to meet at a bank or police station. I don't see anything wrong with meeting at a Starbucks or other public place. And don't bring a firearm unless you're willing to use it. How much money is it really worth killing somebody over? Even if you're in the right think about how much you'll spend in attorney's fees defending yourself.

If you insist on meeting in person and receiving cash then it seems like he'd be the one that needs to be concerned that you're trying to rob him. You'll just have old coins and a teenage meth addict isn't interested in stealing your coins so he can sell them for meth. He want's cash.

I'm sorry if all of this paranoia stuff is some sort of CRH humor. I might have missed that too. :dontknow:

Always be ready to use your protection. I have read reports of people in my home town who were killed over a couple of dollars, do you not think someone would kill over $200+ in silver and then to get thier money back as well? Its getting tougher out there, 55% of people 16-29 have jobs, some have families and I am sure more and more are picking up alcohol and drug habits so that money has to come from someplace. Meeting in a public place has its advantages but it wont stop someone hard up. Meeting in a police station or bank is a smart choice as its a more controlled environment and the whole point is to keep yourself as safe as possible.

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
A year or so back the chef of police or was it the sherif in Boise met some one to buy or sell a computer turned into a robbery attempt and an arrest. Also seams like there were two bad guys showed up. Be care full seams to good to be true.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread