Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some things to tell us so we can give you the best advice:

-how long do you think you will stay in the hobby? are you the kind of person who rapidly bores with a hobby or do you tend to stay with a hobby long term?

-how often will you hunt?

-do you have any physical limitations?

-where/when do you expect to do most of your hunting? northern Canada/florida, dirt parks/schools/yards, beaches?

- what is your primary target? gold nuggets, old relics, jewelry, old coins/new coins? obviously youll be happy with treasure whatever it is, but youll be targeting something to start with.

-what is your immediate budget? are you the type of person who is mainly concerned with todays expenses or do you tend to take a Buy once Cry once point of view.

Theres good detectors for all the options above and narrowing down your most likely useage will help us give you better recommendations.

OP
OP
Z

Zadiecat

Greenie
Mar 2, 2017
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll definitely stick with it. I've been wanting to do it for a long time but never had a chance. I'll probably do it a few times a month. Just depends on locations and mood. No physical limitations. I'd like to do it where ever I can. I'm mostly interested in looking around old home sites or public places. I'd pretty much be happy finding anything but old relics would be very cool to find. I'm trying to find one around the 100 dollar range. I found one that's 80 and it seems to have great reviews.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I'll definitely stick with it. I've been wanting to do it for a long time but never had a chance. I'll probably do it a few times a month. Just depends on locations and mood. No physical limitations. I'd like to do it where ever I can. I'm mostly interested in looking around old home sites or public places. I'd pretty much be happy finding anything but old relics would be very cool to find. I'm trying to find one around the 100 dollar range. I found one that's 80 and it seems to have great reviews.

Then go for it! Try to stay away from sites with lots of trash as your starting out. Keep reading about the different detectors on this site. Between detecting and reading you should be better prepared for your second detector. Believe me, you are going to want to upgrade a bit once you get into the swing of it. Keep us posted and good luck.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Youre not going to be happy with a $100 metal detector. Well, not once you learn your way around the market.
In the lower price range, I'd recommend something in the Garrett Ace family, probably no lower than an Ace250. I'll let others that know these machines better than I comment on which Ace would be best for you.

I tend to separate detectors into 3 price ranges: entry, middle, and top. Garrett Ace series for the first, the Garrett AT Pro in the middle, and Minelabs for the top are my goto recommendations.

Also, remember that the advertised price that you see isn't the real selling price. Dealers have some wiggle room. Also beware of junk that dealers like to throw in to make a package appear more valuable. imo, you need:
1) a detector. duh.
2) a Garrett pinpointer (~$120)- don't cheap out on this, its very important.
3) a digging tool. garden trowels aren't strong enough. most folks get a Lesche or Gator.
if you beach hunt, a good scoop; but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, eh?
Everything else is 'nice to have' and can be added as you see fit, but I wouldn't start with less than those 3 things.

Dealers. I think youre gonna be pleasantly surprised on how nice metal detector dealers are. I haven't met or dealt with one yet that I didn't have a good experience with. I think this hobby attracts good people. Start with one that sponsors the forums. And if theres one near you, Go See Him/Her!!! Swinging a machine in a store can tell you a lot. Also look for a local detecting club and go to a meeting. Folks will gladly let you swing their machines to see how they feel (and they will brag on them. a Lot). Usually a club will have a dealer or 2 as well (double good). And lastly, I will tell you the dealers whom I have had good experiences with via PM if you want.

OP
OP
Z

Zadiecat

Greenie
Mar 2, 2017
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the great advice! I was looking at the Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV but I'll definitely rethink it now. All of the Ace series look great.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If you've never gone at all, be prepared to dig a lot of trash. Can you borrow or rent one?

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to Tnet....:icon_thumleft: .....how did you acquire the "bug"?... what I would do is to see if there are any clubs around where you live, explain your level of md experience and perhaps someone will let you use one of their "loaners"...or if you have a friend that has one, borrow theirs! there are dozens of metal detectors on the market in the $100 range, but I think you will get varying opinions on which is best. perhaps the $80 one you are looking at is one of the good ones (you didn't specify) ...you can also look in the treasurenet classifieds (I have seen some really great machines in good to excellent condition on there) is there a metal detecting dealer near you? I see you are in Georgia...you can possibly go to forums here and click on Georgia, who knows maybe someone on Tnet lives near you and would help

OP
OP
Z

Zadiecat

Greenie
Mar 2, 2017
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always loved watching metal detecting videos and I've become a fan of aquachigger and he's definitely helped me become more interested. The detector I was looking at is the Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV. I don't have any friends to borrow from but I'll definitely check for any clubs near me.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell you which detector - lots of good ones out there, but one important thing to consider is weight of the machine. Men can swing the heavier ones but most women are more comfortable with one that weighs 3 pounds or less, including batteries. And, if you at some point think you might want to try hunting in the water or along shorelines then you need a submersible machine. There aren't many detectors that are good for both water and land hunting. Lastly, if there is a detector shop anywhere near you, take a road trip there so that you can actually hold and hear the machine you think you want. Purchasing online is convenient but many dealers so called return guarantee has fine print that means a hefty, like 30% fee if you return the machine. One large online dealer charges this fee if you so much as open the box, so a wrong choice can be very expensive.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, one more thing: get a DD/Double D/butterfly coil. MUCH easier to learn on and to learn pinpointing with. I (and most others I think) use them exclusively.

btw: aquachigger is something else. I'm a fan of his too. his oldest stuff is the best imo (he uses/used the ATP).
also, I had a bounty hunter once and don't consider them in the same class as the Aces. more like Chinese toys. but then I can be a snob too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread