SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys! I've been metal detecting for 4 years now and wanted to switch things up for a change. I'm looking into buying a pan from a local gold prospecting shop. What all will I need? I know I need at least one pan (I'm looking at a 10 inch), a gold snuffer bottle, and a vial. Is there anything else? What tips can you give me on panning? Like where in rivers/creeks are the best spots? I'm guessing the bedrock and gravel areas. I don't know if this exactly the right place for this. I couldn't decide between here and general discussion so I came to the pros!
Thanks- Andrew (I'm never in this section haha)

Upvote 0

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get a 14" pan as the bottom on the 10" pans are very small which doesn't allow much room for separating the black sand from the gold.

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would get a 14" pan as the bottom on the 10" pans are very small which doesn't allow much room for separating the black sand from the gold.
Ok thank you! What else would I need?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really get both a smooth (and I mean smooth) 10 inch pan and a nice big 14 inch...I like the Proline "Professional" but others are ok too. You also want a 1/2 inch classifier that fits into the 14 inch pan. Before you know it you'll want a sluice too.

For final processing of your heavy material at home I suggest a kitchen strainer to take out the big gravel and a 50-mesh classifier. Panning classified material is SO much easier.

Here in metro Denver there is a lot of iron sand so a decent magnet is also wise. May or may not matter where you are tho.

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really get both a smooth (and I mean smooth) 10 inch pan and a nice big 14 inch...I like the Proline "Professional" but others are ok too. You also want a 1/2 inch classifier that fits into the 14 inch pan. Before you know it you'll want a sluice too. For final processing of your heavy material at home I suggest a kitchen strainer to take out the big gravel and a 50-mesh classifier. Panning classified material is SO much easier. Here in metro Denver there is a lot of iron sand so a decent magnet is also wise. May or may not matter where you are tho.

Thank you very much. I will definitely look into those. I'm looking at some pans that a shop around here makes. It has 4 "stages". One for big gravel. One for little, one for black sand. And the other getting it out. I'll be heading to the shop in a week to talk with the owners and buy the items I need. Thanks again!

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wait...
I started with a Pan, garden spaid, and an eye dropper, :)
Then got 2nd pan, snuffer bottle & vial, looked for "spot's", and finally started seeing some color !
Got Home depot bucket & real shovel....Then even more tools.
Built a sluice, Fluid bed, only way to go,just my opinion....started seeing real color....

Got a Good backpacking frame pack. Camping gear has followed. Several trips this summer.
First spot was about 1 mile upriver, now i've been as far up as 5, 6 miles.

I have had best recovery from gravels bars, but can be fun wondering around the river / creek trying to decide where the heavy gold would/could settle....

Good Luck....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread