Need suggestions on keeping my keys dry.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waterproof bag is what I use, been using the same bag for about 4 years now, still hasn't leaked.....

I am using the universal medium waterproof case......holds my keys and a phone if I want it with me.....

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/medunicase.html

davidfl

Jun 23, 2011
florida
Detector(s) used
cz7apro cz20 cz21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i got a key that only opens the door, it wont start the car. i lock the keys inside, take the five dollar key with me on a wwjd lanyard.

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Otterbox for cell phone and keys and a few bucks. People claim that they will never take a cell phone detecting. Many things can happen. Heat issue. Sea creature sting. Step on something sharp. Twist an ankle. Or just keep going down the beach and have the wife pick you up when you are ready. A little tip. Put the Otterbox lanyard around your belt. You don't want to lose that.

gallienus267

Jul 18, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Cobra Beach Magnet Fisher 1270
Same as above. I use a flat key that opens the trunk. I put my keys in the trunk and put the flat key on a shoestring around my neck. Problem solved

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
gallienus267 said:
Same as above. I use a flat key that opens the trunk. I put my keys in the trunk and put the flat key on a shoestring around my neck. Problem solved

Last year, one of those killer hot days where you leave the windows down.

At a local golf course, fella took off his big diamond ring, bracelet, watch, and his wallet, put them in the trunk.

Never thought about the inside trunk latch.

He was a car salesman at that.

His girlfriend said one word: Dumb=a LOL :laughing7: :laughing7:

Oh yeah, his stuff was gone before he got started.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
aquapak.......... phone, cam, keys

Attachments

• SNAG-0002.jpg
    SNAG-0002.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 346

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A flat key from Wal*mart clipped to my gear belt. I also have a hid-a-key box on all of my vehicles.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davidfl said:
i got a key that only opens the door, it wont start the car. i lock the keys inside, take the five dollar key with me on a wwjd lanyard.

This is what I do.

Some guys place the keys on top of a tire or in the gas lid door. I never bother taking the cell phone with me as I can see who wanted to disturb me when I get back to the car.

OP
OP
G

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
Thanks for all the replies! I have some great suggestions.

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Full coverage insurance. Please take my truck!!!!!, lol.

Seriously, my wife bought me an otter box for our boat. I put the registration card, key, id in it. Works great.
I get all my snorkling and water sport stuff from LeisurePro
http://www.leisurepro.com
Check the "watertight cases"

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
littlebill31 said:
Full coverage insurance. Please take my truck!!!!!, lol.

Seriously, my wife bought me an otter box for our boat. I put the registration card, key, id in it. Works great.
I get all my snorkling and water sport stuff from LeisurePro
http://www.leisurepro.com
Check the "watertight cases"

I have tried everything and sooner or later everything will leak and you will ruin your stuff. I have a key pad on my door so I just lock them inside but if I didnt I would glue a strong earth magnet to the key and stick it under my bumper or what ever when no one is looking....

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Leave the car at home and ride your bike to the beach?? :dontknow:

Southernstyle

Dec 17, 2010
I drop mine in the sand and cover it, then use my MD if i have to to find it. I know some of you are thinking "REALLY?" Really, I do....Just always thinking another MD'er may find them. Oppps.

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
:coffee2:
at disney water parks they sell cases that are water tight.
sea world also has them.
good luck,
urdaboss

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Stash them on dry land ... it is an art ... :icon_pirat:

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually use one of those waterproof containers you wear around your neck that you can buy at just about any beach. I wouldn't recommend the 'hide a key'. That's too common and can easily be found because people always put them in the same place.

The simplest solution is to just get a duplicate key made. Not another chip, just a regular key. You won't be able to start your car with it, but you won't have to. Lock your keys and whatever else in the trunk and just keep the regular key in your pocket or wear it around your neck. This allows you to get back in your trunk and get your regular keys again. If you keep this key in your pocket and it gets wet, so what. Just wipe it off and it will still work in your trunk or car door. It's the cheapest way out of your problem.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!!

OP
OP
G

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
Looks like I'll have to get one of the waterproof cases. With my luck lately, if I bury or hide the key it will be found by someone. My Nissan wont let me leave the key in the car. It wont lock unless you remove the key. Thanks again for the advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread