Need tips on research..

DoubleBarrell86

Oct 21, 2017
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok. I been trying to do some research. I been looking at a soil map that was like started late 1800s and finished in 1918. Anyways it shows some old houses. Which is great. Im looking for early 1700s old homes. How do i go about finding them. I cant find no maps of that time? What books would be good for me to look for that type of historyin my neck of the woods

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find member: 'Corporate Investigations' here on Tnet. Send her PM . She can help you if she is not busy. She is an expert. Tell Amy I said hello, and good luck with your search. Oh, and i bet several memebers here will chime in to assist.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would start by checking the archives online, in Raleigh. The public library; university; historical society. Send emails to the contacts provided, or call if the number is available. USGS maps; USFS maps; Museum maps. I have found local libraries, and even the County Assessor can be very helpful in locating 1800 and even 1700 homesteads. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
DoubleBarrell86

DoubleBarrell86

Oct 21, 2017
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would start by checking the archives online, in Raleigh. The public library; university; historical society. Send emails to the contacts provided, or call if the number is available. USGS maps; USFS maps; Museum maps. I have found local libraries, and even the County Assessor can be very helpful in locating 1800 and even 1700 homesteads. :icon_thumright:

Thank you

OP
OP
DoubleBarrell86

DoubleBarrell86

Oct 21, 2017
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find member: 'Corporate Investigations' here on Tnet. Send her PM . She can help you if she is not busy. She is an expert. Tell Amy I said hello, and good luck with your search. Oh, and i bet several memebers here will chime in to assist.

Ok thank you

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My experience is that finding 1700's maps is a challenge. And if you can find them they were sort of drawn by memory vs actual surveying techniques.1800's atlas type maps are a good resources. You may have to work from written accounts for the really old sites. Let us know if you have any luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions