621.1 KB · Views: 72

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

I donā€™t recognise the mark at all, but the teapot itself appears to have been copied from the styles manufactured in Russia by Gardner during the 1800s, mainly for export to Central Asia and Afghanistan. Thatā€™s not a Gardner mark though. This is a typical Russian Gardner teapot (this one also had an adhesive label with Cyrillic and Persian script.

Gardner.jpg

I canā€™t make out the fourth letter in the centre of the mark: GAM?NY. As far as I know there is no ā€˜placeā€™ called Rasoul (with that spelling, even if Anglicised) but it could be a surname/company name. As a surname, itā€™s most prevalent in Iran (1 in 7,000 people) but also found in other Middle Eastern countries and Pakistan.

My guess is that this is an inferior copy of Gardner-ware (maybe with transfer decoration rather than being hand-painted), locally produced somewhere in the region where the expensive imports were sold, and made at a later time.

I have a question though. The background colouration of the mark youā€™re showing does not appear to match the ground colour of the teapot. Are you in fact showing a paper label that was affixed to the piece? If so, is there a mark actually on the porcelain itself?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I canā€™t see that fourth letter as an ā€˜Lā€™ but a sharper picture would help.

This one seems to have almost identical decoration to yours:

Kazim.jpg

The fleabay seller claimed it to be hand-painted, mid to late 19th Century, from Gardner in Russia (despite having no Gardner mark), and that the word ā€˜KAZIMā€™ on the bottom is a retailer mark. Iā€™m not convinced by that and still inclined to think this is in imitation of the styles produced by Gardner, more likely early 20th Century, and probably from the ā€˜Arabicā€™ world rather than Russia.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With many makers marks that I have seen and researched over the years, the name below the mark is often times a Pattern name. So I would assume that the pattern of this ware is named Rasoul, rather than a place.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With many makers marks that I have seen and researched over the years, the name below the mark is often times a Pattern name. So I would assume that the pattern of this ware is named Rasoul, rather than a place.

Possibly. As an Anglicised word ā€œrasoulā€ means ā€œmessenger/apostleā€ in Arabic and ā€œkazimā€ means ā€œforgiving/tolerantā€. Both are however also common surnames and used as forenames too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread