Need your help!!

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody...I sure could use your advice! I just received permission to detect a dirt cellar in a historic basement where slaves were chained to the walls. Thus far, I've only detected old cellar holes with no house above. Does anybody here have any experience they could share and any pointers that might help? As always thanx a million....I'm quite anxious to get at it!

Rick (Goaldigger @ the Goalrush)

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I agree...dig every beep and search the walls for items hidden in crevices...including paper...so eyeballing is a must.....Good luck and hope you take pics of the cellar

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
I've been in a couple of castle dungeons in Germany and it really stunk, as in something d-e-a-d.

Bring some noseplugs and a barf bag.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree...dig every beep and search the walls for items hidden in crevices...including paper...so eyeballing is a must.....Good luck and hope you take pics of the cellar

Gypsy's right. Also take a sniper coil with you. Some of these places have many targets and the sniper will help you pinpoint them separately. Use all metal and forget the display if you have one.

good luck.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd probably bring one of those flashlights you can wear on your head. Reason being...if the cellar roof is low...you may get interference from the low a/c lines with the lights on...especially if they're flouresent.
Maybe a broom to wisp away cobwebs....havent seen many basements without those.
Al

OP
OP
RelicRick

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody...great advice! I will bring a camera and take photos if the homeowner lets me. BTW...I met with the curator of a local museum yesterday and he confirmed that several of the items I've recently found in an abandoned village date back to the Revolution...very cool!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advise is... How much money do you think the slaves had? They were hardly kept alive to work, food water and that's it. It wasn't till the near end of slavery they started getting wages. You want to look in area's where the slave owners would bury their caches and I don't think it was in with their slaves. :-\

Keep @ it and HH!!

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well maybe they lost a tag or 2 in there.Even finding a set of chains would be worth it....

OP
OP
RelicRick

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advise is... How much money do you think the slaves had? They were hardly kept alive to work, food water and that's it. It wasn't till the near end of slavery they started getting wages. You want to look in area's where the slave owners would bury their caches and I don't think it was in with their slaves.

Keep @ it and HH!!

This house is well over 200 years old. While slaves were kept there, I still have over 150 years of homeowners w/o slaves I'm dealing with. I never mentioned a cache (although that would be nice). I was asking if anyone had advice for this type of search because I haven't done one before...nothing more, nothing less. Thanx to those that offered suggestions!

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not an expert in this field at all, but use all your natural senses as well as the mechanical instruments that you have..... Yours eyes are still one of the best detectors you have.

All the best and God bless
Peter

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out all the floor joist and sills.. Try running a thin blade putty knife on top of the joists.. Look for any crack or crevice that something can be hidden..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread