Needing 3rd opinion on possible grooved celt...?

Rockhntr81

Sep 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody! Im new here and just needing a quick opinion for now.....will share more later of course. I found this possible hard stone grooved celt above a large clay deposit on the side of a steep hill that had been cut into by a creek.....it was at the top directly under the tree roots no more than 4ft below ground level, the only thing that brought me up there was the red and purple chert chips spilling down into the creek bed......I would be certain of what this is but the groove is at an angle and i cant seem to find any examples of this...........any thoughts? Thanks in advance.......Mike

IMAG0134[1].jpg IMAG0136[1].jpg IMAG0133[2].jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rockhntr81

Sep 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope.......the other side is smooth other than a slight surface crack.

OP
OP
R

Rockhntr81

Sep 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no....there are no work marks or chipping.....its some kind of hard, heavy sandstone, very rough and granular but heavy as marble.....

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking it's Limestone, which nature loves to make any and all shapes out of, the shape does resemble a celt very much but without any man made marks its just natures handy work.

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rockhntr81. A picture of the broad end, the end you are holding, might help us. It definitely has a good shape. How long is it?

Keep swinging!! or in your case, Keep your eyes on the ground!! MuddPuppy

OP
OP
R

Rockhntr81

Sep 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. the more i look at it the more i think your right creekhunter. Im in Missouri and if there's one thing we have its limestone, this is just more grainy than most i guess. I was in a new spot and prob got a touch of the fever, making me want it to be more than it was.......maybe ill take a day off........then again, maybe days off are for quitters!!! Thanks again!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Limestone artifacts will not show signs of chipping or work marks, these artifacts are ground into shape. Unfortunately, mother nature will erase the grinding witness marks on Limestone. If found in association with other artifacts, I'd say it is an artifact but with unknown purpose.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That may be what some folks call a tater rock with a plow mark on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions