Needing my fix

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I ALSO read about that... don't know; either. It was a one page report; will check to see if UNC Library "on-line" has that report.

OK... here's what I got; John Pickrell Risque, brother of James Beverly Risque of Fincastle/Lynchburg/Campbell County, VIRGINIA: A LIFE CUT SHORT (1882) - JPR "left a lasting legacy in New Mexico". JPR left Georgetown (D.C.) & served as a bookkeeper in the New Mexican placer company in Albuquerque and later moved to Santa Fe; worked as clerk to the military paymaster while studying LAW. He was admitted to the New Mexico BAR in 1872, becoming a successful businessman. On April 24th, 1882... he was murdered along with several companions by a band of marauding Indians. (Info from EBSCO Host Connection: John P. Risque - A Life Cut Short). His wife was Jeanie S. Risque; he was only @ 33 years old. They had one son. Report is available @ LIVELY ROOTS John Pickrell Risque [34969]

Last edited:

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
OK... here's what I got; John Pickrell Risque, brother of James Beverly Risque of Fincastle/Lynchburg/Campbell County, VIRGINIA: A LIFE CUT SHORT (1882) - JPR "left a lasting legacy in New Mexico". JPR left Georgetown (D.C.) & served as a bookkeeper in the New Mexican placer company in Albuquerque and later moved to Santa Fe; worked as clerk to the military paymaster while studying LAW. He was admitted to the New Mexico BAR in 1872, becoming a successful businessman. On April 24th, 1882... he was murdered along with several companions by a band of marauding Indians. (Info from EBSCO Host Connection: John P. Risque - A Life Cut Short). His wife was Jeanie S. Risque; he was only @ 33 years old. They had one son. Report is available @ LIVELY ROOTS John Pickrell Risque [34969]

Ok you missed a connection that has bothered me. In 1824 FW Risqué wrote to daddy Risqué about the family member. So who died so early. There was a hunting party from that part of the country that had ties to the Lynchburg area that was massacred around 1800. I'll look back in my notes bc I kept that info. The families even petitioned congress for compensation on slaves and items lost. If memory serves right all the men in the hunting party were from one church that kept records of the loss of the men. I believe that church is in the chapel hill nc area.

HH Tat

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Ok you missed a connection that has bothered me. In 1824 FW Risqué wrote to daddy Risqué about the family member. So who died so early. There was a hunting party from that part of the country that had ties to the Lynchburg area that was massacred around 1800. I'll look back in my notes bc I kept that info. The families even petitioned congress for compensation on slaves and items lost. If memory serves right all the men in the hunting party were from one church that kept records of the loss of the men. I believe that church is in the chapel hill nc area.

HH Tat

All I got is that JPR is the ONLY brother of JBR; they were gonna go in business together & I will find THAT info tomorrow. I had "Blue Lodge" (Freemasons) meeting, tonight; be back "on track" tomorrow...

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

HH Tat

Could be... dunno.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

HH Tat

1824...? BBL.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

HH Tat

Hmmm... the ONLY thing that I can surmise is that JPR wanted JBR to THINK that he was dead; "we" have info about JPR being a LAWYER in D.C.; STRANGE, indeed.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
And THERE, we have it... as of 11/22/2014.

WOW! A QUANTUM LEAP from Robert MORRIS/MORRISS to JP Risque... gonna go BACK to MORRIS/MORRISS. THIS is what I KNOW... the ONLY place that I found ANYTHING about Robert MORRISS & wife, Sarah... is in the papers of Margaret Anthony Cabell; they were "notes to myself", ONLY for story-telling; NEVER meant to be PUBLISHED! Her 1858 book on "SKETCHES" was utilized for the BEALE PAPERS... she died in 1882; the year the INNER CIRCLE met at the Arlington Hotel in Lynchburg, Va. to discuss how to "do" the BEALE PAPERS. WHY...? www.peterv.com/confed_treasure.htm MANY writers were involved; (EVEN JW Sherman). MANY ex-REBS (CSA) were involved; EVEN Frank James (CSA-Tenn), known as BUCK! HE was living in Lynchburg, Va. with his family... under the name of JAMES WARREN, when brother, Jesse was "murdered"! "Robert & Sarah MORRISS" were "based on" Robert & Sarah MORRIS. THEY did have a HUGE home, in which they DID "board" ppl (ROOMS). It WAS known as the Washington Inn/House. Robert MORRIS was MAYOR of Lynchburg, Va. in 1813... VERY "well-to-do".

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Looking for grave-site of Robert MORRIS, MAYOR (1813) of Lynchburg, VIRGINIA, now! SO!
For MORE info about Robert MORRIS, go to FIRST page of this "Thread"... HH!

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Margaret Anthony Cabell......there was some stuff in her writings that checked out, so I wouldn't discount all of it.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Margaret Anthony Cabell......there was some stuff in her writings that checked out, so I wouldn't discount all of it.

Her "piece" on Robert & Sarah MORRISS was utilized for the Beale PAPERS... she died in 1882; may have been on the Committee of 1882... OR! She actually talked to someone, prior to her death.... dunno.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... I have a Deed of Trust signed by four wealthy citizens of Lynchburg giving Robert Morris and his wife Sarah a ten year lease on the Washington House. The lease starts in 1818 and ends in 1828. Robert Morris had to pay over $2,000 a year for the lease. Somewhere around 1826 he either paid his way out of the lease or either he was proprietor of the Washington Hotel and the Norvell House or Franklin Hotel... Angelina Brown married John Buford Otey and their daughter married James Beverly Ward the Agent for the author of the Job Print Pamphlet. The Brown Family moved to St. Louis, Missouri. That is where Angelina and her husband went in 1846 when their daughter Harriet married James Beverly Ward at Jefferson Barracks where James Beverly Ward worked as a clerk under Ferdinand C. Hutter. CSA Treasury Clerk Ferdinand C. Hutter signed the first paycheck for General Robert E. Lee.
During the War of Northern Aggression, Lucy Mina Otey, wife of CSA Capt John M Otey, with the ladies of Lynchberg, organized the hotels and rooming houses in Lynchberg into hospitals to care for the wounded.
In 1862-1863("the 2nd year of the Confederate War"), a smallpox epidemic hit Lynchberg killing many of the wounded soldiers and town citizens.
So the questions arise, when did Robert Morris die, did he die of smallpox, was he tended to at Mrs Otey's hotel/hospital, AND, was she the recipient of Morriss's Beale story?
If so, did her husband solve C2 and search for the treasure, and without success, pass it on to cousins Ward, Sherman and Hutter?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like being stuck in a ditch and spinning the wheels. Without documentation of some kind the wheels will keep spinning but the vehicle will stay in the ditch forever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread