Needing to calculate the time you spend CRH and these awful CRH videos!

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The famous rant by coin hobbyists of all kinds that say CRH is a waste of time, "you cant call it profit if you don't calculate the hours you spent finding the coins..", yes that's right to a point but who counts the hours wasted when they love what they are doing and are having fun with it? Its not a waste at all! Do you calculate the hours of wasted time you spend watching football games enjoying yourself? hehe I think not, to those people, you are either trolls or you really don't have fun doing anything at all..To have the mindset of having to rationalize and monetize you're time while doing something fun is beyond me..There's no reason to track hours (other than a nice log) besides the gas money it took to get the coins, that's the only exclusion. The whole process, mapping out the banks, talking to the tellers, buying potential silver at face value and getting home anxiously (or car if your like me and cant wait) to open up those lovely rolls is just awesome..Its like being apart of a secret club that no one else knows about..To me the money is just an added benefit of the hobby, the majority of the fun is the process and anticipation, because lets face it once you found your silver you can only stare at it for so long before you want to grab more rolls and repeat the process..Its the journey along the way that is thrilling..I can't think of an easier way of finding free money and where else to look but the banks lol..I know that if you went around collecting aluminum cans, your back would be sore by the time you collected 5 dollars worth, now that is just stupid! What kind of investment is like this? You invest 500 dollars worth, you get 500 dollars worth of coin, you find no silver, there is no loss and is most likely more fun and social interaction than you would get doing other things..What are your thoughts? :thumb_up:

Another thing is, people and posting these CRH videos on YouTube, are they really making the hobby of finding silver more scarce, or will the normal person even think twice about doing what they see in these videos? With the economy the way it is I could see an increase in lookers but also an increase in uneducated people dumping their collections at facevalue so technically there is more silver out there than ever..I also thought of getting a group of people here to contiguously flag their videos to discourage future posts lol..What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance! :headbang:

Upvote 0

solielj

Nov 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a good point Mr. Silver Stash about jobs not paying you to drive to work, and if you're smart about it you don't have to drive all over town. I don't go more than 15-20 miles in any one direction and I've past at least 10 banks. Now I just have to get them to order coins for me and figure out where to dump them on my way home. Right now I'm looking for banks that don't have a monthly service fee or minimum balance required. Only found one so far but they have a coin counter in the lobby so I have at least one dump bank so far.

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I figure I make about $20/hour CRH'ing...not bad. Who else is going to pay you that much to feed your addiction??!

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure I make about $20/hour CRH'ing...not bad. Who else is going to pay you that much to feed your addiction??!

not bad at all, plus freedom to quit and come back to it whenever you want..what job allows that ;)

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
Brush64 said:

I wish I was finding enough silver to make that per hour. I don't even make above minimum wage.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I'm extremely jealous. Over the 3+ years I have been CRHing I figure I have found as much or more silver than many of you, but yet I'm not sure I've turned a single cent "profit." If I have, it would work out WELL below minimum wage.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you sell all your finds you are not really making any sort of profit, IMO. Thats why I figure my efforts in OZ/hour.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you sell all your finds you are not really making any sort of profit, IMO. Thats why I figure my efforts in OZ/hour.

Very good point:notworthy:

I look at it this way. What else would I be doing. I look through boxes in the evening or on weekends in between doing things with my kids. So why do I care about the time it takes. I would probably be watching TV or playing Call of Duty. So the time really is not an issue. If I quit my job and started searching boxes 8 to 10 hours a day well then what I cleared hourly would matter or if I disappeared into a back room somewhere ignoring my family, it might matter.

Even when I am looking through rolls I am out with the kids, heck they help me look more times that not.

OP
OP
OnARoll

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good point:notworthy:

I look at it this way. What else would I be doing. I look through boxes in the evening or on weekends in between doing things with my kids. So why do I care about the time it takes. I would probably be watching TV or playing Call of Duty. So the time really is not an issue. If I quit my job and started searching boxes 8 to 10 hours a day well then what I cleared hourly would matter or if I disappeared into a back room somewhere ignoring my family, it might matter.

Even when I am looking through rolls I am out with the kids, heck they help me look more times that not.

You make a great point, balancing the hobby with loved ones is a must! Some hobbies like online gaming can really take you away from that, on the other hand this is more engaging and rewarding..I try to get my girlfriend involved as much as possible, mainly to inform her of coins and such!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread