Needle in a Haystack

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
So yesterday the wife and I went to an auction at a warehouse. According to the owner's son, his Dad had just retired from the thrift store business and this warehouse was the overflow. The building owner had a new tenant coming in on Monday so ALL of this stuff had to be gone this weekend

photo(1).JPG

My apologies for the crappy picture but you get the idea. This place was massive and packed with stuff almost all of which I would have trashed long ago. After looking around for an hour before the auction started I had only spotted a couple of things that I was at all interested in. I wasn't sure I wanted to stay but we decided to stay a little while and see how things went. The auctioneer was slow and obviously didn't have a good grasp of how long it would take to move all this stuff. 3 hours in he had only sold maybe 10% of it and the crowd (which was pretty small to begin with) was quickly thinning out. The picture above was taken at about this time in the proceedings. He took a short lunch break about this time and when things resumed he picked up the pace and things started selling CHEAP. He asked people to pick out things they were interested in buying and he would sell those. We picked a few needles out of this haystack and I think we did pretty well. Here is what we got:

DSC06053.JPG DSC06055.JPG
This is a huge vintage Fiesta ware mixing bowl. Paid $20 for it. This is the largest in a nested set of 7. Whole sets sell for $500 or more. I'm hoping to get at least $50 for this and maybe a lot more.

DSC06056.JPG
One of these cookie jars recently sold on ebay for $60. We paid $7.50.

DSC06057.JPG
This is a lot of 9 or 10 collector dolls my wife bought for $12.50. She says there are a couple in there that sell for over $100 each. I hope she's right.

DSC06058.JPG
This appears to be a set of home theater speakers by SEAS. I had never heard of this brand and I usually shy away from electronics because I can't test them to be sure they work. However, a little ebay research indicated this is a high quality brand and the quality of the cabinetry convinced me these were worth taking a chance on. I paid $37.50 for the set. I'm going to test them today. If they are in good working order, I think I will do very well on them.

DSC06059.JPG DSC06060.JPG
This is why I don't usually buy electronics. If this turntable were in good working order, I would probably get at least $150 for it. I paid $32.50. It turns on but the table doesn't spin. I'm hoping I can get $50 for it as a parts piece.

DSC06061.JPG DSC06062.JPG
I bought these motorcycle racing boots and leather jacket as a lot for $5 because it looked like nobody was going to bid on them (and no one else did). Cleaned up I think I can get $50 for the boots. The jacket is in pretty rough condition and probably wouldn't sell for more than $50 if it were in great condition. I don't think it is worth the effort to clean it up and restore the leather.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn you guys both beat me too it. I will say that in my experience those belts are usually easy to access and remove/replace, if you are so inclined and the fit isn't terrible you might try swapping in one of those big blue produce rubber bands to see if that's actually the problem before procuring a replacement belt. I had reasonable success with those on a couple of turntables in the past but ymmv.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the belt replacement advice. I keep forgetting that YouTube has all those "how to" videos. I pulled the platter to check the belt and it is, in fact, missing. I turned the machine on to make sure the motor works. It does. Then I noticed drive post on the motor seemed rough. Closer inspection revealed this:

DSC06085.JPG

It looks like at some point in the distant past the drive belt broke and wrapped itself around the post. Then the turntable sat idle for years and the belt petrified into this mess. I'm sure that can be cleaned up but it won't be the two minute job I was hoping for. Sigh...

BTW, the maker on those speakers is not SEAS. It is SEA which stands for Southeast Acoustics. This company is apparently out of business and I find very little information about them. The only details I could find are here:

SEA Speakers 4.0 Series Floorstanding Speakers reviews - Audioreview.com

According to that web site, these speakers may have originally cost around $1,500. However, that price appears to be for a slightly different version of this model. Mine are the Series 4.0 but have a different cabinet. I hooked up a couple of them to my home theater setup yesterday and they sound great. I need to figure out how to connect the subwoofer so I can check that out. I don't know if there is any demand for these but this might be a great score.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread