Negative Feedback Question.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Ebay just stinks when it comes to giving Sellers any support over Buyers.

What would you do?

Item: Two Lamps

My Negative Feedback:

"I was a little disappointed that one of the lamps did not have a plug attached."

My Listing:

"OVERALL VERY NICE SHAPE BUT ONE OF THE CORDS NEEDS A NEW END."

Any recommendations? Thanks.

So far I nicely contacted the Buyer about what I said in the listing and how Negative Feedback hurts.

Sometimes, just stuck with stupid people!!!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
SEANO said:

What would you do?

My Negative Feedback:

"I was a little disappointed that one of the lamps did not have a plug attached."

My Listing:

So far I nicely contacted the Buyer about what I said in the listing and how Negative Feedback hurts.

I would contact ebay about it an after talking to them if buyer is being a jerk esculate it.. then ebay will have someone make up the dicsion about who is right an who is wrong.. only thing I can see that might get you in trouble is the way you worded it.. if the plug was missing an you just worded it needs new end that could be inturpt in a few ways.. for example needs new end could mean metal plugs are damaged but still works fine...

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
SEANO said:

What would you do?

My Negative Feedback:

My Listing:

WTF???

See that is what scares me about my sales. I know the odds are stacked against me and it is only a matter of time before nonsense like this happens to me.

OP
OP
SEANO

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
jerseyben said:
WTF???

See that is what scares me about my sales. I know the odds are stacked against me and it is only a matter of time before nonsense like this happens to me.

WTF for sure! Maybe I should have seen this coming. They earlier asked what it was made of. I told them and said it was in the listing.

Yes, unfortunately it likely will. No contact prior to the Feedback posting, just a "Negative Feedback" Posted.
I have begun to set-up multiple accounts, this being one of the reasons. Only plus, this is on my newer one with "Bronze", but not TOP RATE SELLER" like the other one. May want to look into doing this too?

GregK

Jan 10, 2008
Hi all,

You can have negative feedback removed....if you're willing to be a little tricky.

Ebay has a non-removal policy of negative feedback unless a couple of circumstances are met. One is if there is foul language and the other is for something called feedback extortion. As you all may know the buyer can have the feedback removed if they desire. The trick to get ebay to remove it is to get the seller to result to "extortion". That's not as sinister as it sounds. Basically you need to contact the seller and ask them what it will take to have them remove the feedback. If they come back at you with something like "I will remove the feedback if....you refund my money (or any other variation) then ebay will remove feedback for you as it is considered extortion.

I know that sounds kind of dodgy. I had to do it once when an a-hole left me negative saying I stole his money and he never rec'd the item when I had proof he did! In your case it is just a fact that the buyer was mildly illiterate and didn't read the whole description.

As sellers on ebay we have zero protection. PayPal and ebay always look out for the buyer. We need to protect ourselves.

Hope the above was of some help.

Cheers,
Greg

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Hi seano, I just had a similar thing happen to me in December. I received my first negative in 1040 transactions. The buyer (with 5 feedbacks) left a negative stating she was very dissapointed that she didn't receive an item by Christmas. The estimated delivery date for the "Free Shipping" I offered was clearly stated in the auction. She left the negative before contacting me or even receiving the item. I am a power seller and contacted Ebay and they were no help at all. I told her I would refund her money in full ($19.95) if she would retract the negative. I tried to settle the issue with emails and she then claimed I was harassing her. Well, what can you do? I got my first negative and it hasn't made any difference in my business. It's kind of like getting the first scratch on a new car. It's gonna happen sooner or later because there are just some things you have no control over. I do however wish I hadn't responded with a scarcastic comment to the negative ("Sorry I'm not Santa Claus") because it turned into a Tit for Tat and I think it draws more attention and drama to the event. I left her a "Buyers Beware" comment in her positive feedback. Remember, You can't cure stupid!

OP
OP
SEANO

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Rooter said:
Hi seano, I just had a similar thing happen to me in December. I received my first negative in 1040 transactions. The buyer (with 5 feedbacks) left a negative stating she was very dissapointed that she didn't receive an item by Christmas. The estimated delivery date for the "Free Shipping" I offered was clearly stated in the auction. She left the negative before contacting me or even receiving the item. I am a power seller and contacted Ebay and they were no help at all. I told her I would refund her money in full ($19.95) if she would retract the negative. I tried to settle the issue with emails and she then claimed I was harassing her. Well, what can you do? I got my first negative and it hasn't made any difference in my business. It's kind of like getting the first scratch on a new car. It's gonna happen sooner or later because there are just some things you have no control over. I do however wish I hadn't responded with a scarcastic comment to the negative ("Sorry I'm not Santa Claus") because it turned into a Tit for Tat and I think it draws more attention and drama to the event. I left her a "Buyers Beware" comment in her positive feedback. Remember, You can't cure stupid!

Thanks, I will most certainly give the buyer Positive Feedback, with a carefully worded "Beware"

I hate the negative, but based on their statement I can easily word my response as some kind of... Please read the listing...

Can't stand Ebay's Seller support, oh wait what support? Lucky for them, they are still the only real market around ...for now...
It generally takes me three phone transfers to get someone in the U.S.A.

williusb

Nov 23, 2011
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had quite few transactions as a seller and this means that from time to time there will be folks who leave me negative feedback for spurious reasons. I've had all of them removed and although this might not work for every case, here is what I would do: 1.) Send an email to the buyer, not through the ebay system, but direct to the buyer's email address and ask why the negative feedback was given. The reason I send to the buyer's email address is because in a couple of the cases, the email bounced back to me as the buyer's email address was not updated with ebay. When this happens, contact ebay and the buyer will be made "No longer a registered user" and your negative feedback will disappear. Ebay takes this seriously and it has worked every time for me. 2.) Get the contact info from ebay for the buyer and this will include the buyer's phone number. Sometimes a phone call can straighten things out and the bonus is that if the phone number is not correct, ebay will again knock the buyer off ebay and your negative will disappear. For some reason, I have found that buyer's who leave unreasonable negatives have incorrect phone numbers or email addresses!

In the worst case, if you can not get the negative removed, I think it is important to put up a response to the feedback promptly.

Also, be careful with leaving a "negative positive" feedback for the buyer as it may violate the ebay feedback rule: "Negative statements left for a buyer that conflict with the positive rating are not allowed"

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Excellent suggestions Williusb. The "Negative Positive" is definately against Ebay rules but the type of users who receive them usually don't notice, care, or are too dumb to do anything about it. I actually used the term "absolute idiot" in the positive feedback I left. I also recommend leaving a response to the negative but, make it professional, concise, and to the point. I left a sarcastic remark as mentioned and I wished I hadn't. Remember it will fall off after 12 months.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's one negative. It's not the end of the world. There are dumb buyers out there. It happens. Be thankful for the sale and move on from it. If they want to return it, let them return it and refund the purchase price of the item but not shipping.

Wait until you get one for something silly like... It was priced too high

OP
OP
SEANO

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
bazinga said:
It's one negative. It's not the end of the world. There are dumb buyers out there. It happens. Be thankful for the sale and move on from it. If they want to return it, let them return it and refund the purchase price of the item but not shipping.

Wait until you get one for something silly like... It was priced too high

Thank you, I think.

Or maybe "Priced too low"

OP
OP
SEANO

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
GregK said:
Hi all,

You can have negative feedback removed....if you're willing to be a little tricky.

Ebay has a non-removal policy of negative feedback unless a couple of circumstances are met. One is if there is foul language and the other is for something called feedback extortion. As you all may know the buyer can have the feedback removed if they desire. The trick to get ebay to remove it is to get the seller to result to "extortion". That's not as sinister as it sounds. Basically you need to contact the seller and ask them what it will take to have them remove the feedback. If they come back at you with something like "I will remove the feedback if....you refund my money (or any other variation) then ebay will remove feedback for you as it is considered extortion.

I know that sounds kind of dodgy. I had to do it once when an a-hole left me negative saying I stole his money and he never rec'd the item when I had proof he did! In your case it is just a fact that the buyer was mildly illiterate and didn't read the whole description.

As sellers on ebay we have zero protection. PayPal and ebay always look out for the buyer. We need to protect ourselves.

Cheers,
Greg

Thanks Greg, working on some options you mentioned. Overall this has been a good topic for any Ebay sellers to read thru..

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
GregK said:
Hi all,

Cheers,
Greg

So many people have gotten use to merchants fall over backwards for any little reason they make issues when none are present and try their best to get things for free, It pisses me off when I am in a resturaunt and there is somebody employing this tactic in an attempt to get a free meal. What really sucks is these dead beats take money from hard working waitresses and they usually don't have the support they need. This can cause a service provider to feel discouraged and they will convey an attitude of non compliance they will slack off in their service. Often times if you get to a resturaunt and when they come to take your drink order you hand them $5 tell them "This is not your tip this is just to show that we are not beats we want expect and deserve good service." There are people that drive to attact collisions to sue others some will slip on a little water in stores it never ends the things people do to try to get money out of places.

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my first negative feedback after 1500+ positives. It upset me for a while, but after a day or so I just let it go. We are Top Seller Rated and take a lot of pride in our listing of items on ebay. The negative was for a digging trowel that the buyer said had a scratch on it, so he said it was used. I listed it as NOS. I offer a full refund on all my listings, but he didn't want to hear about it. After digging one hole with it it would probably have a lot! of scratches on it. Oh well! Don't lose sleep over it, just keep doing a good job. All the great feedback we do get offsets something like this.

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
i remember when bay was all about the seller. my how times have changed.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rooter said:
Excellent suggestions Williusb. The "Negative Positive" is definately against Ebay rules but the type of users who receive them usually don't notice, care, or are too dumb to do anything about it. I actually used the term "absolute idiot" in the positive feedback I left. I also recommend leaving a response to the negative but, make it professional, concise, and to the point. I left a sarcastic remark as mentioned and I wished I hadn't. Remember it will fall off after 12 months.
I left a nonpaying customer a sort of "negative" positive once. My reply was (in caps): JUST A LOVELY NON PAYING CUSTOMER. FUN EXPERIENCE EVEN THOUGH SHE DIDN'T PAY.
This person is no longer a registered user, must have not payed one too many times.

Times have changed and Ebay has done a complete 180 in regards to negative feedback. Here's my story-
The only negative I ever received came from a seller, maybe 7-8 years ago when I first started using Ebay. It was retaliation for me giving him neg. feedback. The item I purchased was listed as "mint", when I received it, it had a 1 inch tear across the top edge. I emailed the seller and he was an ass about it, denying the condition issue. Ebay refused to do anything about it. If that had happened today, I would have filed a NSAD case against him and got my money back immediately and he would have no recourse.

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, negative feedbacks suck and they are usually from a newbie. As a seller (Top Rated), I do not leave feedback until I receive it only because I have left about 6000, and only received around 3800. If you are concerned about a negative feedback, you can leave a reply which is placed just below their comment. You don't have much room, so make sure whoever is viewing that negative, thinks.... oh the "Buyer" was just a jerk, and they will side with YOU. If a negative feedback is hurting your feedback rating, you can always "Buy" some positive feedback and get back your 100% rating because it's based on percentages. You see these sellers all the time with 3, 5 or maybe even 10 negatives in the past year, and still have a 100% rating. This is because of the higher amount of positives. If your just starting out and want to increase you number of feedbacks, look for items under "Free Shipping" and buy items for anywhere from .01-.99 cents, there's a lot of them out there.
Hope this helps.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buff4 said:
As a seller (Top Rated), I do not leave feedback until I receive it only because I have left about 6000, and only received around 3800.

As a seller, I haven't left feedback in probably 2 years or so. Buyers don't seem to care and they often come back to buy again. The only ones that do care about feedback are people with less than 10 feedback. They get really whiny and email daily asking for feedback. They don't seem to understand that feedback is voluntary.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's good business to leave feedback first. Buyers like knowing their money and business is appreciated. Personally I leave feedback for nearly everyone, whether i'm buying or selling. One exception would be someone i've had to file a case against to get my money or one that didn't pay at all. The buyer has done their part, they bid, they paid quickly, that's all I care about. I will say that I have never asked a buyer to leave me feedback, I don't think that's in good taste. After a month or so has gone by, if I haven't received feedback from them, I'll send them a message thanking them for the business, stating I hope they were satisfied with the item/s they purchased from me. I end it by saying, Positive feedback has been left for you, I hope we can do business in the future, thank you and have a great day. If they leave it after that, then fine, if not that's okay too. You can't please everyone and it's not the end of the world.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread