NEL Sharpshooter for ATP

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just received the NEL 9.5 X 5.5 myself but have not tried it out yet. I'm getting ready to visit Germany so hopefully I can find some great relics over there. My goal is to find at least one Roman coin. If I can snag one of those, I'll be happy!

But I'll keep y'all updated on how well the coil works too.

OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, I'm planning on finding lots of pulltabs and zinc pennies with mine. It seems that here in Texas people used to think that if you planted a pull tab, a cola tree would grow.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw this video of a new Nel coil for the ATP! By the looks of it it has awesome separation on iron infested sites and great depth! Check it out.

OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Nel Sharpshooter today. I hooked it up and tried it out on a penny and it seems to get about the same depth as the stock coil but the sound seems...crisper, if that makes sense. I think it's going to be freaking awesome! (I'm pretty excited)

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finds from Germany

I just came back from Germany and used the NEL Sharpshooter and you can see the results. The coil worked extremely well and although I cannot state for certain how deep some of my objects were, I know the 81mm mortar I found was easily 15" down. I know that is a large object but even the coins, buttons and other items read nicely.

The items I found should probably go into their respective forums but since this thread is specifically for the NEL Sharpshooter coil, I'll list them all here.

Here is the mortar I was talking about. I found two of them on that day. Please note that when I took the size comparison photo, the coil wire seems loose. This is just because I compacted the rods down for easy transport.

Attachments

• Mortar in ground.jpg
    Mortar in ground.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 138
  • 81mm Mortar.jpg
    81mm Mortar.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Size comparison.jpg
    Size comparison.jpg
    895.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Found two.jpg
    Found two.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 137

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some more

Here are some more military objects that I found. The Panzerfaust tube was a first find for me. Definitely made my day!

Attachments

• Panzerfaust Tube.jpg
    Panzerfaust Tube.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Egg grenade (Eihandgranate).jpg
    Egg grenade (Eihandgranate).jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Various military objects.jpg
    Various military objects.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 127

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are cool, but I'd have been scared to touch them! I wouldn't try to bring them home on the plane!

If found nose down like that it certainly seems they were mortaring that position and those were duds that buried themselves in the ground a bit. Hope they're still duds!

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Various items & button

Here are some more various military items and buttons I found. The one snap button I cannot figure out what design it may be. Anybody have an idea? Plus I need to do some research to find out what outfit wore the "7" button. Could be from either WWI, WWII or even earlier.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Various buttons.jpg
    Various buttons.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Various military objects.jpg
    Various military objects.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 129

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More stuff

Here are some German rounds, some musket balls, a lead bag seal and perhaps a shoe buckle? Not sure, it could just be a belt buckle.

Now for some good news: the funny looking double loop item is a Roman carriage yolk. This was confirmed from the archaeologist there in Germany. I didn't think anything of it when I found it but he identified it right away. A great find in my book!

Attachments

• Various items.jpg
    Various items.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Roman carriage hitch.jpg
    Roman carriage hitch.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 116
OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be awesome to find things like that, but can you bring them back with you? I've put about an hour on my sharpshooter so far and I think it finds targets at least as deep as the stock coil. I dug a penny signal next to an old house that was half torn down and there were three nails in the same hole with the penny. (There were nails everywhere) I don't think the stock coil would have separated the signals.

Last edited:

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last one

Here are my last finds from Germany, COINS! I found everything from 1852 3 Pfennige, 1851 2 Pfennige, 1906 10 Pfennig, 1915 10 Pfennig and several other coins. Some are not even recognizable anymore. The nasty looking coins at the bottom are Third Reich coins. They hardly ever turn out nice coming from the ground.

But I did find my first nice Roman coin. I put it next to a dime for size comparison. I believe it might be a Roman Minim. But the detail on it is incredible! I'm still smiling on that find. I'm not sure which Roman it is but perhaps somebody here may know. I'll research it more myself.

Attachments

• Various coins.jpg
    Various coins.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Obverse Roman.jpg
    Obverse Roman.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Reverse Roman.jpg
    Reverse Roman.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would send the pictures and story behind them to Garrett, they'll publish those for sure. Might leave out the picture of the Nel coil though lol

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are cool, but I'd have been scared to touch them! I wouldn't try to bring them home on the plane!

If found nose down like that it certainly seems they were mortaring that position and those were duds that buried themselves in the ground a bit. Hope they're still duds!

Both of the mortars still had their fuses attached although not complete. You can see they were damaged and broken away once they hit the ground.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be awesome to find things like that, but can you bring them back with you? I've put about an hour on my sharpshooter so far and I think it finds targets at least as deep as the stock coil. I dug a penny signal next to an old house that was half torn down and there were three nails in the same hole with the penny. (There were nails everywhere) I don't think the stock coil would have separated the signals.

I was able to bring everything back with the exception of the mortars and grenade. When I was stationed over in Germany, we had the phone number to the German EOD and we just call them up whenever we find UXOs. I know some folks will cringe when they see I handle some of the UXOs but I am careful with them and we're not playing a game of hot potato with them. They're pretty safe as long as you respect them.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People that handle snakes would say the same thing about safe if you respect them, but part of that respect is having quick access to anti-venom...because "stuff" happens.

Be safe out there!

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would send the pictures and story behind them to Garrett, they'll publish those for sure. Might leave out the picture of the Nel coil though lol

I probably will send in some photos of my finds. Not sure if they would mind the NEL coil being used or not. The AT Pro control box does most of the work so I don't think it would be an issue but who knows. Any more luck with your NEL Sharpshooter coil? I like this coil myself but I'm not really sure if it is better than the stock one.

OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself only have about 2 hours using the Sharpshooter but from what I've seen it's at least as good as the stock coil on depth, with the added bonus of being able to spot a penny in a pile of nails. But, if I were to detect a big field I would put on the stock coil just because of the additional mileage you'd be swinging with the Sharpshooter.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And what about the Sharpshooter vs the Snake? Any thoughts? I believe the snake would be a little better at seperating coins from nails since it's a little smaller. But depth wise the Sharpshooter could go a little deeper. In the video that I posted earlier the snake coil seems to work great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread