Nevada - Eldorado Canyon

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What are you talking? City property? county? state? fed? etc... Or ...... turn your question around the other way: is there some reason why you think it WOULDN'T be legal at any particular place? If I see no prohibitions about something I intend to do (metal detect, fly frisbees, etc...) then I assume I can, unless I see it posted to the contrary. If you are still skittish, park rules for each city and county are usually available on their website. If it is silent on the issue, then .... so be it :)

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Tom_in_CA said:
What are you talking? City property? county? state? fed? etc... Or ...... turn your question around the other way: is there some reason why you think it WOULDN'T be legal at any particular place? If I see no prohibitions about something I intend to do (metal detect, fly frisbees, etc...) then I assume I can, unless I see it posted to the contrary. If you are still skittish, park rules for each city and county are usually available on their website. If it is silent on the issue, then .... so be it :)
Tom please don't take offense but I've noticed that on nearly every single post here when someone asks about permission, or the legalities of detecting in a particular area here you are telling them to "just do it" if there's no signs forbidding it. So you had a bad experience with asking permission.. I can understand that and respect your position. I even understand, sort of, what you're trying to say. However with all the bad publicity we get already from people leaving open holes, getting arrested on historic sites, etc. we surely don't need to take a pirate mentality and go trespassing wherever we feel like going just because the property isn't posted. I think after awhile the legal fees would offset any amount of "treasure" you might find. The archies are trying their best to have new laws passed that will eventually stop us from detecting anyplace except maybe our own yard. Having a bunch of us getting caught where we shouldn't be just because "nobody said we can't" is just plain bad advice.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
NH-bandit, no offense taken. To answer your observations, look at the implied premises of your statements. For example:

"bad publicity we get already from people leaving open holes, getting arrested on historic sites ..... "

Well now your in a different arena. Who ever said it was "ok to leave open holes"? If other people do that, then THAT is the issue to be addressed, not this one. And if someone "got arrested in a historic site", then that merely pre-assumes that they were hunting in an area where it was prohibited, right? But re-read my position, and you will see, that I do not promote going where one ISN'T allowed. It is a position that states you needn't ask, where permission wasn't needed, and no prohibitions existed. How can one be "arrested", if there wasn't any laws that he broke? I don't get it. :dontknow:

And:

"pirate mentality and go trespassing wherever we feel like going just because the property isn't posted."

How can one "trespass" where it's public, and ok to be? Again, the premise you pose, merely pre-assumes something is wrong? How does one trespass at a public park, forest, etc....? (assuming they're there during open hours, and there isn't some reason why it's not accessible to other recreationers, etc...). For example: If I go make a U-turn, at an intersection where there is no sign, or rule, prohibiting U-turns, then I do not consider myself a pirate, for making that U-turn. On the contrary, one assumes U-turns are allowed at an intersection, if there is no sign, or rule, prohibiting it, right? "Pirate" assumes one is breaking a law. And again I remind you, I never promote law breaking. So again, I don't get it.

"Having a bunch of us getting caught where we shouldn't be just because "nobody said we can't" is just plain bad advice. "

How can one "get caught", if there's no law, he's breaking, to begin with? You've got me confused here bro.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always check if in doubt .
Because if it is not legal and a Ranger comes up they will take all your things even if it is not posted .
So it is better to check and not be in the paper as another person with a detector was caught today were they should not be .

Besides if it is under a Ranger and he says it is ok then a lot of the time they will show you the best place to hunt !

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Pence65, What county is that in? My files are by state and county. Frank

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
daedalus, if you read back through my posts on the subject, I concur that if a person thinks maybe the wooden sign at the entrance of a park is not complete enough, that they can go to the website of whatever entity they're wondering about, and look it up there. Or if a city doesn't have a website rules, then it is usually public information that anyone can walk into any city hall and the books of city muni. codes are right there, on the front counter, public information.

It is better to look it up ones-self, rather than to ask someone. Because even if you try hard to phrase it in a way where you put the burden on them, to produce such an actual written rule (ie.: "are there any rules that prohibit such & such?"), I have heard of instances where some desk-clerk still interprets that as you asking their permission. Ie.: their answer might sound like "we would prefer you didn't". And if you object and say "but where is that written?", guess who's going to loose that debate? ::) And mind you, perhaps they really didn't even care, nor would ever have noticed (till you asked).

If, as you say a person could be ".... caught today where they should not be ...." then that pre-assumes that ...... they're where they shouldn't be, right? And that law, or rule, or whatever, is therefore somewhere, on books, right? Thus, no need to "ask permission". We can satisfy ourselves if a rule exists or not.

You may ask "well, what harm does it do?". Here's the harm: It gets rules (or "clarifications") written where no one ever cared before, and it gets bootings, where ..... that same kiosk clerk who fielded the question recently, sees another md'r (whom he previously never would have paid a second glance to) and thinks "aha! there's one of them!" and starts booting others. I've seen this happen before :( I can think of beaches in CA that have been detected since the dawn of time, and it's never been a problem. However, if you were to look into the minutia enough, you might find something that ......... given enough morphing, could be applied to md'ing (cultural heritage stuff). So you tell me: If no one's ever cared, why would someone feel they need to ask now? Why not leave good enough alone?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Tom let's just agree to dissagree on how we chose to conduct ourselves and let it go at that. I mentioned filling holes & such because it's one of those issues that paints us in a bad light to the "public" and blindly detecting in places where we don't know the laws just because nobody said we can't is also going to attract the wrong kind of attention. If there were no signs at Gettysburg specifically saying that detecting is not allowed would that make it ok or does the federal law concerning historic battlefields apply, posted or not ? You sound like a lawyer.. if you are one then you know very well that "ignorance of the law is no excuse" and will get you a guilty verdict everytime. I believe you just posted on another thread something to the effect that you feel it's ok to detect in cemeterys as long as you don't dig down 6' directly over the graves... Let's let it go and you keep your morals & I'll keep mine.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Tom on this. If I'm at Wal Mart should i ask for permission to use the rest room, because it does'nt say "customer rest room" ? I think I'll just be a pirate and go for it. :icon_pirat:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
lookindown said:
I'm with Tom on this. If I'm at Wal Mart should i ask for permission to use the rest room, because it does'nt say "customer rest room" ? I think I'll just be a pirate and go for it.
Why not just go on the floor... it's dosn't say you can't... ::) I'm done

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I usually go by the wooden sign. In state parks in MD. they state no metal detecting and in smaller writting below that during June, July, and August.
O.K. at other times with permission. I have found out that if I ask the Secretary in the office I get a NO, but if I ask the head ranger I get a qualified yes. I always ask him for his card. That is my pasport thru the lesser rangers. One look at it and they say O.K. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread