Nevada Gold found with Whites GMT

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nevada Gold found with White's GMT

Closeup of a 1.7 gram specimen I found recently near Winnemucca, NV with my White's GMT. This and a few other pieces are my first Nevada gold! The GMT is excellent on gold like this that PI detectors have a hard time seeing. I could not get my GPX 5000 to see this little specimen even on top of the ground. The GMT had no problem getting it several inches into the ground.

sp05.jpg

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW! Amazing!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve... You keep posting pics of finds like that and you're going to give everyone here a bad case of "Detector Envy"! Really nice find!

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With the 5000, which coil were you using?

Beautiful, beautiful gold.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nugget Finder 9" x 14" Advantage Mono. You might argue a smaller coil would see this piece but the fact is PI units are well known to have problems with porous specimens and wire gold. There is a wide spread presumption the expensive units must be best for everything but they are often trumped by VLF units.

Don't get me wrong, my GPX is my main gold getting machine! But right tool for the job. I spent a day and a half pounding this location with the GPX for nothing but bullets, then went to the GMT and had gold in less than 30 minutes. Got another similar specimen and two small nuggets.

I almost always start with the GPX hoping to score big. I always have a time limit though within which I will switch to a VLF and look for tiny gold. I hate getting skunked and can almost always sniff out some gold with a hot VLF. May be just a speck, but it beats nothing at all.

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad your on this forum Steve!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VLF or PI

Hi Steve,
The slightly magnified picture of your find adds just enough improvement of clarity to show just how lovely that find really is! And found with a GMT and the 5000 would not pick it up on top of the ground, interesting! Thank you for sharing with us the find as well as the details......................63bkpkr

This is why I am hoping the new Garret PI unit causes others to bring out improved PI units, some healthy competition and new technology please!

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Late and have to get up early, but nature of the PI beast. You can build a PI with a short pulse delay that will easily hit gold like this. But then you light up the hot rocks and bad ground and are no better off than having a VLF. There is actually a place where ground and gold readings meet and overlap. My GPX ran smooth and quiet but missed the gold. The GMT lit up the ground and hot rocks and ran noisy - would have foiled a less trained ear. But it also lit up the gold. Mull on that one!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manual or auto GB?

OP
OP
Steve Herschbach

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Manual. I do not like the small target response on the GMT when run in tracking.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Steve, that is just downright gorgeous! Nice find. My lifelong best friend is down in that area, running a huge expansion project at Allied Nevada. He keeps talking about going out looking, but never seems to find the time. I'll email him that pic...should get him moving...LOL
Jim

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One of the handsomest specimens ever Steve... WTG. :icon_thumright:

Jim.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Darnit! Looks like I need to set the TDI aside and go back over the area(s) with my MXT. Lot of ground to cover.

The thing I like about the TDI is that it ignores 'hot rocks', yet I can put a 1.8 gram nugget under the 'hot rocks' and it reads the nugget with no trouble. But now, I can't help but wonder how much gold I passed up.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, Darnit! Looks like I need to set the TDI aside and go back over the area(s) with my MXT. Lot of ground to cover.

The thing I like about the TDI is that it ignores 'hot rocks', yet I can put a 1.8 gram nugget under the 'hot rocks' and it reads the nugget with no trouble. But now, I can't help but wonder how much gold I passed up.
The TDI and MXT make a great team.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread