cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All. As probably most of you, we find many head stamps in the areas we go. Btoots and I have found (100) or so where this one was dug...mostly common gauges w few No 10's. The site is an old wooded area that had a road and at least one 1900's home-site on it.

I know I have dug my share of head stamps over the years... even found a No 28 one time...but I have never seen a No 14.

Some diggers don't like finding head stamps but I keep 'em and enjoy finding 'em...they help date site activity, many times there is other good stuff nearby, and once in while you find an odd one like this No 14. Pretty sure it's pre-1911.

Anyway not a great find but I thought it might be of interest. Thanks for the view and Good Luck out there. C9

Attachments

• T Woods 121017 Obv.jpg
    T Woods 121017 Obv.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 171
  • T Woods 121017 Rev.jpg
    T Woods 121017 Rev.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 19

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is neat. I've never heard of one either.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UMC Headstamps

Found your stamp on this page almost to the bottom on the right side . No date but I bet it is around the 1900s or late 1890s . I never heard of a 14 before . I seen a no 3 when searching for yours . I found a no 8 winchester this year , a first for me . I have found a head stamp with a date before also . Never know what you will dig up .

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is a cool find...I love finding old shell cartridges that one is rarer than an 8 gauge.....Love to find one myself..Congrats..

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in great shape too!

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one cool find! Enjoy finding headstamps helps to date the place you are hunting, Ive found couple No. 14's, there use to be a online data base for headstamps but the last time I looked it had been taken down. The No. 14 was made sometime around the late 1800's.

Happy Hunting :icon_thumright:

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like this one got dropped. The primer hasn't been struck. Very nice old brass head stamp in a rare gauge. Thanks for sharing it mate.:icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the cool find! :occasion14:

Kollint4

Oct 2, 2017
Missouri, United States
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one a while ago and I’ve had it for a while and I saw your post today and decided to clean it up, because the only thing I could make out on was “Winchester” and the number 12. After I cleaned it it said “New Rival” on it. I looked it up and turned out to be from around 1920! Also that is a really cool find
of yours, especially since it’s in such good condition! Also I think it’s cool that yours hasn’t been fired.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513379983.507458.jpg

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if I ever dug a #14. Now I'll have to go through hundreds of grungy shell casings to see if I have any. Thanks for putting that thought in my head! LOL!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always glad when one of us has a find that they are very happy with!!!!! Good job!!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, that's one RARE headstamp! Just went through mine and found ZERO No. 14 casings in the 608 I have saved. I separated them and here's my totals:

No. 10 (9), No. 12 (478), No. 16 (61), No. 20 (56), .410 (4)

Only found one pinfire casing, a No 12. Guess those are pretty rare as well. Here's a photo of all 608. Time to go to bed!

DSC07719.JPG

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not many in the states for sure. They were more popular in the foreign countries but the popularity did not last long. That’s a very nice one [emoji106]

OP
OP
cambria09

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the #14 headstamp.
I'm glad to see someone is getting out.
We got snow.

Hello ATW. Thanks for the reply. Sorry you got snow...we don't find as much really old stuff as y'all do in the NE but we can dig year round here in FL. We'll keep the light on and the fires burning for ya'. C9

OP
OP
cambria09

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UMC Headstamps

Found your stamp on this page almost to the bottom on the right side . No date but I bet it is around the 1900s or late 1890s . I never heard of a 14 before . I seen a no 3 when searching for yours . I found a no 8 winchester this year , a first for me . I have found a head stamp with a date before also . Never know what you will dig up .

Hello 1942 merc. Thanks for the reply and the link. You are correct 'ya just never know what will pop next...that's what I like about 'tectin'. Good Luck out there. C9

OP
OP
cambria09

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one cool find! Enjoy finding headstamps helps to date the place you are hunting, Ive found couple No. 14's, there use to be a online data base for headstamps but the last time I looked it had been taken down. The No. 14 was made sometime around the late 1800's.

Happy Hunting :icon_thumright:

Hello Hal2k. Yup head stamps are always welcome finds. The variety is great and finding old ones is a favorable sign there are good holes to be dug.

I know the taken down site you mentioned...too bad it's gone it was the best site for head stamps.

Thanks for the reply and Good Luck out there. C9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread