NEVER SHOW ANYONE WHAT YOUVE FOUND!!!!

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVER SHOW ANYONE WHAT YOU'VE FOUND!!!!

A couple of years ago I was working one of my favorite local beaches and was having a great time. It wasn't to hot, I was finding some good stuff and the scenery was GREAT!!!! I was walking along in about waist deep water and got a hit. I dug it (3 scoops, it was fairly deep) but admit that I was paying more attention to a couple of very attractive young ladies then to what I was doing. At the bottom of the scoop was a gold ring with a small diamond in it.

I brought it up, looked at it and started to drop it into my pouch. All of a sudden I here this voice right out of an old NY gangster movie. "Hey, dat's my wife's ring. She lost it a few minutes ago and we've been looking for it". I turn around and this (how should I put this) ....large.... person was standing there. He had to be at least 400 pounds, covered with enough hair he could have played Bigfoot, and chomping on the stub of a cigar. He repeats himself, says "give it to me" and reaches for my hand. I drop the ring in my belt pouch, grad my scoop and start backing away from this guy. I get up to the waters edge, the guy is still demanding the ring or he's going to take it and I'm explaining that he doesn't want to put his hands on me, yada, yada, yada. He's getting loud, a few people are starting to stop and watch, and the lifeguard heads down to us.

The lifeguard shows up and the porker starts demanding he make me give him the ring or he's going to have the lifeguards job (because he has some very important friends). Anyway, I didn't like the way things were going so I pulled out the ring, held it up and asked him if he was sure this was his wife's ring. He screams "Yes, give it to me now you SOB" and reaches for it again. I step back, say "No problem. I found it, you find it" and sent it sailing out across the water. As super porker and wife, along with a bunch of others, head for the water, I asked the lifeguard if there was anything else. He laughed, said no and I went on my happy way down the beach (with the found ring still in my pouch).

Now understand, the ring I showed him and tossed away (Wallgreens $2.00, kids isle) looked nothing like the ring I had found, in fact it looked much better...lol. Also, his wife (as wide as she was tall and should NOT have been wearing Spandex) would not have have been able to wear either, even as a nose ring. My pouch has three pockets in it. The largest for junk, the next for good stuff and a third very small one. That's the one I keep the special ring in (and a little gold chain, Wallgreens kids isle special also).

Over the years I've had people claim that what I found was theirs and a number of other similar scams. Many of the old timers I know have had similar experiences and most have at least heard stories of these scams. It's a sad fact but true that their are those that want to take your finds. No problem, the meathod of countering them that I have told you is just one of many. Use this or use your imagination. The best however is to avoid the situation completely. These are a few suggestions:

1) Keep what you've found cupped in your hand then drop it into your pouch (examine it more closely later).
2) If asked what you've found. "Just junk today"
3) Always be aware of what's going on around you.
4) DON'T SHOW WHAT YOU'VE FOUND TO ANYONE!!!!

There are many times that I'm asked to find something that someone just lost in the sand. I'm always willing to help out. Many times this can lead to nice tips that will at least pay for the days parking or dinner. However, it's usually pretty obvious when someone is trying a scam.

The beaches are a magnet to scammer's and thieves. Just sit back and watch, you'll see all types of things going on, especially on crowded days. Be alert, protect your finds and enjoy yourself.
Deepsix

Upvote 0

juniorb

Greenie
Jan 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
BH 505 Excal II
Re: NEVER SHOW ANYONE WHAT YOU'VE FOUND!!!!

Sounds like good advice, thanks
jrb

midas777gold

May 29, 2006

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!
People get GREEDY when you show them gold. It's sick.

NEVER, NEVER show or tell anyone at the beach what you have found!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very good advice. I laughed out loud when you said you still had it in your pouch. Good one

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Wow! What a scene! :D

I totally agree, drop finds in the hip pouch as fast as you can. When people inquire about what you've found, down play it, pull tabs, bottle caps, etc....... ;)

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Great story, Deepsix. I have lots of folks ask me if I've found anything good, and ya know, for some reason my answer is always the same; beer tabs and foil, maybe a penny or two. :-\

Plus it seems like those that ask are usually in groups, not alone. So you're right; always be aware of your surroundings ;D

Dick

Maggot

Jun 3, 2005
Washington state

good advice, when people ask, I always say just change and nails.

a few days ago I found a gold chain on in the dry sand and there were probally like 10 people watching me detect. I cuppee it and about a pound of sand and just dumped it all in my pocket. I lookee at it later it was markee 14K but it had corrosion so it's fake.

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland

Good advice. Never thought of having throwdown items like that.

I usually search areas where there aren't others around. If I have no choice, this is one reason I stay away from people as much as I can. I find an out of the way area and I do my thing off where I kind of know what is happening around me. However, it is still good advice since, people do have an ability to sneak up on you when you are distracted or preoccupied, like when digging. Also, not looking at items too closely when you find them is good advice. Just put it in your pocket and look at it later. Whenever I pull something out of my scoop, I usually just drop it in one pocket or another. I use one for small junk like pieces of wire, paper clips, bottle caps and pull tabs.... Larger junk, I carry a 5gal bucket that I put out where I am searching and will throw my junk toward the bucket to pick up when I am done. The good items like coins etc, I just drop them in another pocket without looking too closely at them. I might look for a date on a coin etc. but rings and jewelry... I just put it in my pocket and look later. Largely, I do this for this exact reason. I don't want someone seeing me examining something valuable and selecting me as a target.

I don't have a pouch. I tend to wear cargo pants or shorts with lots of pockets though. Some of them actually have pockets inside of pockets. in fact, it wouldn't be too much of a trick to sew a little pocket inside of a main pocket to carry a few such items as your Walgreens Specials.

Thinking of your suggestions, I might take a tray, like you would buy flowers in and burry some cheap dimestore jewelry in some sand and wood chips. Soak them down and leave them outside for a while. I bet you could even buy some in bulk on eBay. ??? : ) Take a few items with you when you go searching. Then, if someone comes up and tries some scam, just show them one of the costume pieces. You sure this is your wifes ring? They should look convincing enough.

Another thing, in case the person is serious and telling the truth and you find is reasonably clean as though it was lost recently, ask for a discription before you try and hand it over. If the person accurately describes what you found than no harm, I would think. If the person doesn't describe it right and is adament (sp?) about you giving them the item, then, like you did, give them the fake. If you are careful enough to not show or reveal your find when you pull it out of the scoop, they shouldn't know any different.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really good story and good advice! My pat answer when people ask me how I did or am doing is...

"small handful of change and big handful of junk."

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTO deepsix. That is the way to do it. In a lot of states, if you find something, it still belongs to the person that lost it if they are still looking for it and it hasn't been abandoned. You are legally oblicated to return something to the owner. That is why "Bigfoot," held his ground. You did good in hiding it from view to look at later. Heck, you could get robbed by a gang out for some sport and they'll even take your detector.

Besides the 3 pockets you have, I put duct tape on the Excal to make it look junky so as to not attract attention for the wrong types. I know it's nice to tell people of your nice find, but don't. What they don't know won't hurt you.

Sandman

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex

Very good advice....good pat answer...nothing but junk today....give em a pulltab!

C

Cofresipirate

Thanks for the advice :)

neilo

Aug 23, 2005

Certainly some good advice there thats for sure, but doesnt it get you thinking about showing your finds on the internet it wouldnt be hard to trace.Could it lead to you getting robbed at home? It does make you wonder.Seeya Neilo ::)

mgdigger

Jan 31, 2004
Los Osos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 and ACE 250

Had a guy get in my face one day at the beach and call me all kinds of names. He didn't demand anything i found but the confrontation was pretty heated. I just walked away from it. Later after he left the beach I found a six pack of beer he had buried for the next day. I never did get to thank him for the brew

D

dfx_maui

Damn, guys! You're making me feel paranoid now! I just started detecting a couple weeks ago and I do go to some secluded spots where I *think* am relatively alone. When I first went there, I was concerned that someone would just walk up to me from behind and scare the *bleep* out of me. So I ordered one of those DetectorPro "Rattlers" one cup headphones so that I would be able to hear my immediate surroundings a bit better. I am a rather large guy and pretty radical looking but I still think there are those out there that don't give a crap and will do anything to get the best of you. I must admit I saw a guy in his car watching me detecting on a beach this past weekend and was a little concerned if he would want to "act interested" in what I was doing. Well I know how to play a little "tongue fu" to verbally get out of confrontational situations. But if it escalates, a man got's to do what a man got's to do to protect his person.

BTW, I will be keeping a couple of my daughter's costume jewelery rings in my pouch from now on.

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland

I don't know that there is really that much to be paranoid about. Don't know how serious you were about that feeling. I have rarely noticed anything that made me uncomfortable. Of course there is always the chance but 90 some percent of the time you won't have any problems. Some people might ask questions because they are curious. Kids will mess with you. I am convinced, for instance, the time I was searching a tot lot and found about 25 pennies scattered around under the swings. They were spaced around so that when I set my detector down to search for one, I would set it on another and it would go off. I dug and dug for about 20 minutes and gave up on them. Then I found a little mine field of pennies all wrapped in foil...

050711-GilsonTotLot-640.jpg

050711-FoilPennies-640.jpg

In my mind, I could hear the little monkeys laughing at me in the trees.

The only situations where I do feel a little uncomfortable is when groups of kids come up and start watching. Not so much the little ones, they are just curious. The older ones catch my attention more and could be a little more unpredictable. However, I have never been confronted. I mostly search in upscale suburban areas and the kids will often just sit up on the play equipment and watch. I keep my distance and if it gets tense at all would just leave. Never had any problems though. Only confrontations I have ever had were an occasional couple walking on the beach who say "Finding Anything" or one time a Russian or Polish man, I am not good with accents... He started asking me questions about the detector. Where do you get them, how much do they cost and so on. Some questions about if I find anything good.

Standard answers were to be as helpful as I could. I didn't tell him that my XLT was around $800 as I didin't want to clue in what my equipment was worth, Just in case. Making your equipment look old and worthless might not be bad if you search in areas where that would be a concern. Again, I live in a more upscale area and it isn't a big concern here. Anyway, I told him of some possible dealers or sports shops where you might find an Ace 250 for a couple hundred bucks etc. And told him he could check the phone book for other dealers for more sophisticated models. As for what I found, I usually say Bottle Caps, A few pennies, couple quarters.... and leave it at that. If I have found an interesting toy like a diecast car or a fishing lure or something I might mention that to encourage people to get into the hobby. However, I wouldn't show someone a gold necklace or ring. Some things are best left unmentioned. Or, just say, I have found a couple rings in the past....

Mainly I would say the idea of a throw down piece of cheap jewelry isn't a bad idea. Be discrete putting things in your pocket so that someone can't know exactly what you found. Like the Kenny Rogers song, "Don't count your money while sitting at the table", Maybe it is best to look over your treasure after the hunt is over and you are safely at home.

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Great advice from all of you out there. Always be wary of your surroundings. My wife had a guy following behind her on the beach. Gave her this creepy feeling: so she just headed back towards a group and he took off fast.

D

dfx_maui

Well recently there was a dellusional guy here in Hawaii that shot a cab driver and a couple that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The couple was just taking photos at a scenic point and the guy shot them after he shot the cab driver that brought him there. An old man in his eighties was attacked in a theater restroom by a stranger that didn't have a criminal past or mental problems. The guy just went after the guy out of the blue in the restroom and cut the old man's throat. Fortunately the old guy survived the attack. I didn't use the right word when I said "paranoid" but it does make me feel a bit more uneasy and a bit more wary when I hear situations like what is being said in this thread. I can take care of myself but I hope that I won't be put in that situation that I have to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions