Never Tell Your Plans to a Hunter You Dont Know

Adventure Wolf

Mar 28, 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discover
Never Tell Your Plans to a Hunter You Don't Know

For some this is common sense, but for others they have to be told. I have a friend that I affectionately call "my little sister". She is eight years my younger and I met her about five years ago when she was ten. Even thou she is fifteen now, she has never grown emotionally or socially since the age of five. She is the daughter of a family friend, who my family has known for years. They live on a nearby farm.

The first time I met her I was standing on the ground level of her father's barn. She jumped down from the loft on to my back and wailed that she was going to "suck out my brain". This was the start of a friendship.

About a year ago we were getting out of my old pickup truck, and we had stashed our metal detectors in the bed. A guy walked by, saw our detectors and began talking to her about treasure hunting. He introduced himself as a metal detection expert and began talking about sites that he had worked. Suddenly my little sister totally rats out the place that I had been researching. She was like "there's this place on High Ridge Road that we really want to try. There's an old homestead out there from about 1870".

I was annoyed at this, but didn't say anything. I went to talk to the people that owned the property a week later with her brother (my best friend) and learned that the metal detector expert that we had talked to had beat us there by a day. I sort of felt sick, because I found the site. I researched the site and it was my idea.

Moral of the story: Don't share your plans or research unless you want people to use it.

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Re: Never Tell Your Plans to a Hunter You Don't Know

Or don't tell a simpleton about your best spots. That's the real story here.

OT

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Dr. Joyce Brothers.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you have never explained to her site ideas are secrets it's your fault. But even if you have, due the circumstances it is still your fault. :-X When a digging friend stabs you in the back that's a time to be bitter (not suggesting you are), but when something like you explained happens you just laugh and move on. :thumbsup:

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

Montauk3 said:
Dr. Joyce Brothers.

Joyce Brothers? Do you mean my insensitivity? The obvious truth is often very rough. No sense in hiding from it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

when one tells folks that do not have the ability to understand that some things are not for "sharing" a prime hunting spot and they "blab" about it to others you would rather not know ---whos to blame really ?-- you are thats who --since you are "bright" enough to know that they are unable to keep a secert (so do not tell em in the first place where you will be hunting at /or make real sure they understand its "your secert spot" for just you two -- or just take them there and hunt but do not tell them where your at ---or--- make a game of it and blindfold em * worse comes to worse ---or just figger thats the cost of helping out and having fun with a "disabled" sort of freind -- being the lead sled dog means you gotta think ahead of the pack.--- cuz the veiw of a pack dog never changes , all they ever see are a holes.

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I usually share a lot of information and I know most of my friends think I am crazy for doing so. I don't give up exact locations but I will share some of the information that led me to a particular site. I am in this hobby for fun and not to get rich. I believe all people to be honest and honorable until they prove to me otherwise. Yes I have been burned before and will be burned again but I enjoy sharing the hobby and my quests with others that understand and show respect, honor and ethics.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Town said:
Montauk3 said:
Dr. Joyce Brothers.

Joyce Brothers? Do you mean my insensitivity? The obvious truth is often very rough. No sense in hiding from it.
OT, so you are admitting your insitivity? ;D

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

Admitting it, bryan? I cherish it.

OT

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

oh i share spot "locations" but only with folks that have proven themselves trustworthy and fill their holes behind themselves --

I have a few test spots that i "share" with "new folks" -- i watch them while there --do they refill holes without be told to ?-- if so good --if not strike one -- do they act "greedy" running over the second i get a find something decent and starrt searching "underfoot" trying to snag finds out from under me ? -- if so strike two -- do they return to the spot I showed them without talking to me about it first ? again trying to get all the goodies --raider fashion "before" me --if so strike three --yoour out ! -- once out --if asked to go to "another spot" -- i say sorry i do not have any at this time.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't mean to put an evil spin on this - but, there is definitely that possibility.

Besides someone taking over your spot, or whatever, talking too much to folks you don't know - or in earshot of folks you don't know (like at your local watering hole), can get you in trouble. It can tell people that you are leaving that pick-up of yours out of your earshot, or worse -
Folks have been hurt and killed over 2 bucks in their pockets - or maps, so why set yourself up?

Beth

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

I really can't get too excited over a detecting spot. Let 'em all come. It's only a hobby.

OT

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Old Town said:
I really can't get too excited over a detecting spot. Let 'em all come. It's only a hobby.

OT

I'm with you. I frequently post pics and such for likely sites. My detecting time is very limited and I love research more than detecting. All I'd like to see is someones finds from the site I researched.

Al

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

deepskyal, I can understand proprietary feelings that arise in all activities like fishing and lobster hunting, stuff like that. Even this MD thing we do, I can somewhat understand it. But in the end you realize there is an endless number of places to go and even if someone has "your spot" they will not get it all ever.

I'd rather approach a guy detecting my "$%&* spot" and shoot the breeze in a friendly way. Maybe tell him how you've done there in the past. Then leave 'em the hell alone.

You feel better in the end and so does he.

OT

K

Kentucky Kache

Stealing a coin spot is bad enough, but when it's a cache spot, that puts a whole new spin on it. It's all out war. :laughing7:

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_pirat: :dontknow: It must have been over to the right, left or above where you heard me say. :headbang:

Sharing is okay once you do the initial hunt. I have given out sites after I have searched several times including shipwrecks. Don't give out research sites before you get some ground or bottom time in first. Would Mel have given you the location of his wrecks before looking first? Common sense, if you don't want it searched before you get there keep your mouth shut.

I have site information that was given by a friend but I would not go search it until he is with me or he tells me to go. His secret spot is as safe with me as if it were my own. Possibly even more so as it is not my site to divulge unless he says to.

B

BIG61AL

Consider it a lesson learned. There are always other sites. :wink:

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

P.B. and Dylan said:
That so called "expert" is scum, and has the ethics of a pile of dog dirt. It's low enough to move in on someones spot but to do it when the information was obviously accidentally provided by a child that's mentally retarded puts him on the same level as the corn in the dog dirt.
I can only hope that someday, somehow people like that will have to pay for their actions.

Man, it's just another spot in the field. It's a hobby. Why so angry over what amounts to nothing? As for using the information from a damaged child? I'd have plied her with candy and ice cream for any other hot spots her guardian might know of. Always target the weak.

OT

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000

We call our selfs treasure hunters and or pirates, yet we have a code of ethics

To some people the thought of treasure and or riches takes over all reason and to heck with ethics,
it happens among friends, family and strangers. it will turn them to thieving
lying and cheating, some call it gold fever, or money hungry, where rational people lose all common sense
and will do any thing to get the so called treasure.

Then some people take the pirate thing to heart and plunder anybodys treasure
and the rest of us walk a fine line between right or wrong

I am with old town on this, it was just one place, there will be more.
get over it and learn a lesson and don't let it happen again

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro

Really, boys. We call ourselves "treasure hunters" when all we really are are middleage fat bas tards out scratching for change. Don't take yourselves so seriously. It's not like you're going to find the sister ship to the Atocha out in some farmers back 40. LOL

OT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread