Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Re: Never Thought I'd Do It Again But...

You'll like the F-70. It is just about the equal of the F-75 at 3/4 the price. You will need to get the smaller coil and the F-75's DD coil. I hear rumors about a small DD coil for real trashy areas coming soon from Fisher.

I had a 1280X for over 15 years and it was an excellent detector for its day. The F-70 has found tons of stuff for me. It can be a little unstable at times, but if you Ground Grab often and make sure your sensitivity is adjusted for the conditions, it will serve you well.

First Texas has some good engineers on their staff since buying Fisher and Fisher seems to be on top of things about quality.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Alright MB!
Lemme know how that bad boy gets at the goodies!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

steve from ohio said:
You'll like the F-70. It is just about the equal of the F-75 at 3/4 the price. You will need to get the smaller coil and the F-75's DD coil. I hear rumors about a small DD coil for real trashy areas coming soon from Fisher.

I had a 1280X for over 15 years and it was an excellent detector for its day. The F-70 has found tons of stuff for me. It can be a little unstable at times, but if you Ground Grab often and make sure your sensitivity is adjusted for the conditions, it will serve you well.

First Texas has some good engineers on their staff since buying Fisher and Fisher seems to be on top of things about quality.

Thanks Steve.

Most owners of the F70 love it.

After last fall's extremely negative postings I was sure I'd never buy one.

Heck now a dealer is almost doing you a favor by selling you one.

I did a lot of reading online and contacting guys I know are really out there making the consistant great finds and all of them gave the F70 and F75 the big thumbs up!

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax

Hey Badger,

Well, another horse enters the Badger den eh? Can't wait to read your reviews I always enjoy your blunt in-depth reviews and comments. Good luck with the new toy!!

DK

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

M-badger, everyone will be breaking a sweat waiting to hear your comments on this machine so get 'tectin' asap. I think you made a smart choice.

And, to all, the 5"DD is now available for 70 and 75, original equipment made by Fisher $150.00 (OUCH). You can find it in the usual places.

Sounds like a mean combo, the F70 or 75 with the 5" coil.

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro

Hey Badg, the only thing would surprise me, would be you buying a Whites. I think I've seen you with most other major brands. Tesoro, Minelab, Fisher,I think I remember a Garrets Infinium also.
One thing I still wonder about, why did you sell the Sovereign?

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

muleskinner said:
One thing I still wonder about, why did you sell the Sovereign?

I ask myself that question all the time.

I keep trying to convince myself that it was for the better but now and then I find myself weakening.

I'm hoping for a really great surprise with the F70.

As for Whites, they're good machines. I never did own one of the really great models. The ones I bought back in the 60's-80's were so-so. I don't know, guess Whites just doesn't blow my hair back.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

steve from ohio and all others, help. I was looking to see if anyone offers the F75 11" coil as an option to put onto a F70, I checked Fisher site and other big suppliers, and had no luck. I know people are doing it but I cant even prove a F75 11" coil will even fit on a 70. Usually the different coils are offered as optionals but I cant find it anywhere. Do you just call fisher and order the 11" and put it onto the 70? Thanks guys.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

you have to order the DD coil and they do fit the F-70, i thought like $175 list, get a hold of a dealer to hear the real deal

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks Thompy. This will be a critical factor when I finally decide what to buy next. Still on the fence between M or F. Anything can sway my decision. Still frozen here in upstate NY, little bit o' mud on top of about 10" solid frozen ground so I have a bit of time to make my choice. Thinking that F70 would be nice with the 11" plus new 5" and I bet the Badger is thinkin' the same.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

It's between Minelab or Fisher? Seems like a win win situation to me either way you go.

Gosh it's great having to make such fun decisions! :thumbsup:

I can't speak for the F70 yet but if 1/2 of what I've heard is true it's a sweet winner all the way.

As for the Minelabs they're just plain great.

I know, buy both! :thumbsup:

Badger

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Badger, I just cant have two new detectors, I would go crazy trying to figure out which one I wanted to use that day. I am a firm believer in getting to know one machine and sticking with it for a long time. My estimate is it takes 3 good hard working seasons to REALLY get to know a machine and maybe 2 more to really master it an get the full potential of it. I like to go slow and look for the deep stuff, I wont dig anything in the top 3 inches. I just dont want to waste time getting clad. Its not for me.

If I had a million dollars to spend I still wouldn't buy two machines. My goal is to buy a good solid platform to build on and simply master the machine and be able to find anything that anyone else can find plus more. The real trick is to master the all-metal modes and feel really comfortable with the machine sounds and to know when you hit the deep ones.

I know all the top end machines will do this, its just the fear factor, and price comes into play. I've been looking for 2 years now and I remember when the F75 came out it blew my mind because I love Fisher anyway. Kinda glad I waited. I have changed my mind back and forth between fisher and minlab about 20 times now. Last month I was ready to go Etrac, studied the owners manual, last week I was thinking Safari. Now I'm thinking F75 or F70. Right now, I really cant say what I'm gonna get, the money is there but I just dont know. The 5" for the fisher pushes me a bit. But I just cant decide right now.

I'm still highly anticipating your thoughts on the 70. Good luck and get the deepies.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Ya I hear you gleaner1. It's better to master one machine for land hunting. I agree.

I doubt I've ever mastered any machine I've ever owned. I've gotten pretty good with a few though.

I've owned 4 Minelabs since 2000. The one I liked the best was the Sovereign GT and next to that was the Explorer XS. I mean there's no doubt about it; Minelab makes a great machine.

But no one maker carries the banner forever. That's what I believe.

When the guys who are consistently digging stuff that I can only dream about tell me the Fisher F70 and 75 are awesome I have to believe them. And too what they're saying makes sense. A super fast recovery with great depth and target separation is where it's at today. For most THers today there's no choice but to hunt sites many others have already covered many times. This means the finds that remain are most likely masked by trash and deep. In my mind the fast recovery makes sense.

Someone PMed me and wrote: The Fisher F70 is like the Tesoro Tejon on steroids.

Badger

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

I seen where any coil that they use on the F-75 will work on the F-70.............and like you badger i have read so much about the F 70 and all good i am thinking of getting one i just wonder could it be that good if i get one i will find out i have not had a fisher for years and years long long ago.......And Muleskinner said he never heard of you haveing a Whites i have had the DFX & Mxt & a few lower end ones but never kept one longer than 3 weeks never could get to like them for some reason................................. Jim

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250

never used an f70 but congrats on your new purchase. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread