Never use CLOROX or Commet.

L

LEO037

I dont' know, just clad, so I didn't care.

I didn't have alot of the ingridients people suggested.
So I tried my own.

BAD IDEA.

I put some floor cleaner, alot of salt, clorox and some commet, heated it until really hot, and put the coins in.

Bad idea, it stained most of them black, all of them have spots, white and black, and it ate a surface of all of the coins.

Don't try.

Didn't hurt me, just clad, i'll spend later.

Any good ideas on cleaning coins,

They should make a coin cleaning STICKY.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
My god man, be careful what chemicals you mix together or you might not live to spend that clad.

From Wikpedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine

Acute exposure to high but non-lethal concentrations of chlorine can result in pulmonary edema, or fluid in the lungs, an extremely unpleasant condition. Chronic low-level exposure weakens the lungs, increasing susceptibility to other lung disorders.

Toxic fumes may be produced when bleach is mixed with urine, ammonia, hydrochloric acid, or another cleaning product. These fumes consist of a mixture of chlorine gas, chloramine and nitrogen trichloride; therefore these combinations should be avoided.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Yep, bleach and ammonia make some kind of deadly gas, so be carefull when doing the laundry not to mix the two :o

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
I think the bleach amonia mix makes mustard gas very deadly, and i do believe basically its the same gas they use in a gas chamber, so avoid that mix at all costs

KurtB

Sep 8, 2006
Lincoln, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70, CZ20, IDX Pro
I use a little bit of comet and water and throw them in the tumbler with some aquarium gravel for a few hours.
Always seperate copper. Works good for me.

R

redstarr

You're not alone, I've used a similar alchemy of household chemicals to try and clean some dug up coins. Mine turned black,too.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
True story here. My father is a funeral director and about 10 years ago a woman was heading home after doing her laundry at a laundrymat. She was driving through some of the curvy hilly roads around Austin, Texas when she took a curve going too fast, drove off the shoulder and hit a tree. She did manage to knock herself out on her steering wheel, but had really no other injuries. Her downfall began when she chose her detergent. She had brought along a boxed brand of bleach detergent powder. This was sitting in the laundry basket in the front passanger seat. She also had a fountain soda in a cupholder. When she hit the tree,the powder and drink went flying, and landed, both open, in the passanger floorboard. I forget exactly what kind of gas was created when these two mixed, perhaps chlorine gas, but since she was unconscious, she breathed the fumes till they reached a toxic level and asphyxiated.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the chlorine gas hit the moisture of your sinuses, lungs and throat it turns into hydrocloric acid... In bleach the chlorine gas is held bonded to caustic soda(sodium hydroxide).. When any kind of acid or anything that neutralize the caustic soda it releases the chlorine gas.. Don't mix household chemicals!!! Chlorine has hospitalized me a few times and not fun at all!!! BE CAREFUL!!!

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent tried it yet,maybe I will later today..but,a can of coca cola does wonders on battery lead corrosion...maybe it'll work on the clads If I get a chance to try it I'll post the results

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Chlorine + ammonia = phosgene gas, the same stuff they threw at each other in the trenches in WW1. One lungful is about all it takes to kill you.
I've had to teach a lot of kids not to mix those two chemicals. (Retail setting, where they were sent in to clean the restrooms for the first time. You'd be surprised at how many people just grab stuff without reading the labels and start using it.) Fortunately, no fatalities on my watch.... ;)

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, nasty stuff!! The reason I know about this is that I was a chemical operater for 12 years.. I've been gased by straight Cl2 (the green monster) as we would package it for water treatment.. My main job was mixing the caustic and water to the right dilution and the add the chlorine gas to it.. I've made a many 100 thousand gallons of bleach.. (10,000 gals at a time.) Getting gased is no fun at all!! It is heavier than air, so head for the high ground!! If you do get a mild dose, fresh air or oxygen, drink milk as it will neutralize some of the acid and soothes your throat.. Please be safe!!

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My co-workers brother did the same thing with bleach and ammonia cleaning his hands!!! Croaked in the john while no one was home...

Just tumble them in water and plain old sand for 30 minutes or so to remove the crust, carry them to coinstar, get rich!!! If rich doesn't want to help you carry them all yourself, but, it beats making them shiny for the bank.... ;)

R

Rich

I put some floor cleaner, alot of salt, clorox and some commet, heated it until really hot, and put the coins in.

DAMN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE READ ABOUT CHEMICAL's,BEFORE MAKING A MIXTURE LIKE ABOVE,YOUR MIXING ACID'S AND AMMONIA AND WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE,......your lucky that it didnt hurt your lungs or explode!

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not only is it ammonia and bleach,but never mix acid and bleach either!!!!
The problem with toilet bowl cleaners is that they contain acid.When the bowl cleaner would not work,women would try using bleach,creating chlorine gas.
As a lot of people have already stated be careful and read up on any chemical or cleaner you try and use!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread