new 12 volt pumps!!!!!!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According too shipping information as of the end of the day 3.3.11 (my son will turn eight that day) I will also be the proud pappa of two brand new 12v 1100gph pumps :headbang: with replacable cores :o they are light i already have an idea for a filter box/carrier for them. A square bucket....cat litter type I'm gonna reinforce the sides and cut holes to make screen filter walls, add brackets to mount pumps, and a spot to put the battery. Now... ???, Preguntes...thats Latin for Questions... :laughing7: :read2: The battery...each pump draws 3.3 amps so am i gonna draw 6.6 amps? If a battery is 300,459,600 amps am i dividing that number by 6.6 to get my relative run time?

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
If you can come up with one of those little Honda 500 watt generators it'd probably be a lot lighter than carrying batteries. Doug.

scottyk

Greenie
Feb 9, 2011
You need to know the capacity of the battery, should be measured in Amp hours=Ah but drawing 6.6 amps "which probably conservative number, could be more" is a good amount of current to pulling. I would recomend a deep cycle since its designed for long periods of time with lower current drain when compared to one designed for cranking a engine.

Time = Battery capacity / Current drawn

Say 100ah batt/7amps=14.3 hours

TIP: If you are putting inline valves on your pumps this could cause extra current draw because of the increased load on the motor. If you use a return line with its own valve plumbed somewhere before the main inline valve this will relieve some of the pump head pressure it will allow the pumps to run with less load on the motors.

So basically yes you are correct, but its Capacity/current.. Just make sure you look for the Ah number on the battery because the CA or CCA is just cranking amps of the battery and does not mean anything for this application.

Hopefully that makes sense I feel like Im just rambling

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
totally understood ...... so then what battery for another application would be the sort of battery that would be good to really good for my needs packable and like four hours of run time at least...???security system backup batteries?? ion like for minelabs ? what are some of you guys using for recirculating rigs and what are your run times?

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weekends off are not even in my ten year plan... :P..dang it...Ha, so i bought at Dread Wally World a Portable Power Source 500watt 10ah i think..its in my car i forget....Either way its a battery with built in charger made to provide "Portable Power" quietly for several hours...hurry up U.P.S :- :dontknow:

dpdkld

Jun 28, 2009
Missouri
get a deep cycle marine with as many amp/hours you can afford...then run those babies as long as you can and see how long it actually lasts. Should be several hours. Then you will know and can plan you trips/use accordingly.

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deep cycle marine batteries are way to heavy,even four hours of a powersluice runnin off of a pool in an un moving stream is way more productive than trying to pan.Mainly i will be sniping and digging nice crevices that are out of the way...i wont be shoveling over burden through my rig just the high grade stuff from the bedrock. i can pack in several ten pound batteries easy big batteries would prove difficult.

scottyk

Greenie
Feb 9, 2011
What I would do is set-up your equipment and measure how much current the pumps are actually pulling. Well thats if you have a amp-meter. Otherwise I would just test it with any battery you have laying around, maybe a car battery. Technically your 10ah should go for 1.4 hrs assuming its pulling 7 amps, from my small amount of experience once the battery starts to drop on charge a little its hard to get the flow of water up to what you want. I guess what Im expecting is the 10ah might not even power that beast for a 1 hour untill your water flow is un-usable. Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer batteries would be the cats behind, they are very light for their power and capacity but need specialty chargers and protective circuits so you dont discharge them too far. The batteries and chargers are both expensive.

Are you pumping water from a fresh source or re-circulating?

If you want to talk more 1 on 1 E-mail me @ [email protected]

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i already realized my goof up tha power source would have only given me a little over an hour. i have found some 20ah scooter baterries that should work.I need to read packaging better lol.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread