New $5 bill

LadyDragonWolf

May 31, 2007
Bremerton, WA
I got a brand new $5 bill today. These were just released about a week ago. Why do they say 2006 on them instead of 2008? It's apparently NOT a misprint (there goes any hope of a trip to jamaica LOL).

I'm confused, anyone got an answer for me on this one? ???

On the bright side, they are kinda cool lookin...I work at taco bell so the joke is that, because of the big purple 5, taco bell is taking over the government lol.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
my only guess would be that maybe they were designed and printed in 06 and they just havent been released until now? ( just a guess). they are kinda cool looking. i saw one for the first time last thursday. i wonder when they are going to re do the $1?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LadyDragonWolf said:
I work at taco bell
umm yah
ill have 3 steak chalupa's No sour cream and ummmmm,a side of nachos
OH and a DR.Pepper

paleo10kbc

Feb 13, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer505
Every few years,Congress or someone,issues a new law that gives the Treasury Dept. permission to print more currency to replace the old.This law stay in effect for a few years,and they make what they need,when they need it for the Federal Reserve banks.The "Act of 2006" is the authority that provides the "series of 2006" currency to the people.
I hope I answered the question.
Paleo10kbc

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The series date is the last time that the Treasurer and the Secretary of the Treasury both changed. That is typically when the series date changes. A design change can also trigger a series date change. In this case, this round of redesign started in 2006, hence the 2006 series date. Here's the text from the Bureau of Engraving and Printing website (www.moneyfactory.com):

"A new series will result from a change in the Secretary of the Treasury, the Treasurer of the United States, and/or a change to the note's appearance such as a new currency design. After the Secretary of the Treasury changes, a new series year is adopted (e.g. 1999). When the Treasurer of the United States changes, a suffix letter is added to the current series year (e.g. 1999A). Additional changes of the Treasurer, whereby the Secretary of the Treasury remains the same results in subsequent letter changes to the current series year (e.g. 1999B, 1999C, etc.).

On newly designed notes, the series year may appear on the right or the left of the note’s face side. The year in which the currency is actually printed is not indicated on the note. "

As far as the ability to print more money, that comes from the member Federal Reserve Banks. They make requests to the BEP for how much is needed and in which denominations. That's why you'll see periodic printings of $2 bills, but only for certain Federal Reserve Banks.

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread