New Ace 250 Bags My First Wheatie Spill

dumpdigger68

Dec 24, 2009
central Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting with my old BH DE280 outlaw and Compass Judge 5 for 3 years and have made some nice finds. Last week I picked up an Ace 250 with carry bag and headphones for $75. It had been used only once and it sure is light and easier on my shoulders. I've only had a few hours to try it out, so much different trying to pinpoint but I'll get used to it. I am working a narrow strip next to our house so I don't have to worry about the oversize holes till I master the pinpointing. There's tons of targets, all out of context as thats where they dug to hook up town sewer. I did however manage a spill of 3 wheaties, 40's and 50's and a 1961 memorial. I was using coin mode to try to weed out the nails and other junk. Once I master this new detector I have a hunt in mind that requires hunting shallow water in a small stream. Can anyone tell me how the ace works in shallow fresh water? I know the control box is not waterproof and I will have to keep it dry. I was given a lead on coins thrown in the water 50 years ago and the coins were old then, so I am hoping for multiple silvers. Conditions are perfect this summer for such a hunt, dry as a bone and low water in most streams. I hope to check it out before we get fall rain. Any tips on the ace 250 are welcome as this is an alien machine compared to my old detectors. Thanks, and when I get silver I'll post pic's.

Upvote 0

aardshark

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2011
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey dump digger, I'm in central Maine as well, and I also have an Ace 250. Pm me and I can give you the skinny on the machine and maybe we can hunt together?

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had mine in a few small streams found only clad so far. Just keep the box dry and you'll be find

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the spill! As an ACE 350 user, I'd love for you guys to post your pinpointing techniques here so we can check in. I use a combination of 2 techniques (I have the DD coil). First is just the general over around till I get the loudest sound and full reading on screen; second is I drag the coil front and back until the signal stops. I've found that if the signal doesn't stop when dragging, it's a pretty long object, like a nail on its side.

That being said, pinpointing is sometimes all over the place. However, as I do what you do and discrim out other metals, pinpointing will bring you into zero mode, so you may get pinned to another object. So always recheck your holes!

Oh, my other technique... large but clean plugs. I find this easier and neater than trying to start off small and expanding.

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I love my 250, but I use it on the beach mostly. It can be used in shallow water without fear.

wildtouchsa

Jul 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also would love to learn more about my ace250. Any info would b great. Im a new user, but ive been studyin the info here on this awesome site and have learned a few great techniques. I visit this site daily, 3 or 4 times a day to see wat great finds ppl have, and im pretty much astonished !! Thanks for any info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions