New again, plus some questions

cole2357

Jun 30, 2008
Hi Everybody,
My 57th birthday was 2 days ago, and my wife asked me what I wanted. A new metal detector....Here's some background. I'm Mick. I started coinshooting in south Texas in the early 70's and saved up and bought a Whites Coinmaster IV. Definitely found enough coins to pay for itself.

Two of my teenage friends and I were the only members of the South Texas Treasure Hunt Club under 60 years old at the time, and we would ride bikes to schools, etc and coinshoot. Girls, cars, school and work intervened and the hobby went by the wayside. Now that pretty much all thats' behind me, I want to get back into it.

We bought a beach house in an old MA town last year. Landscaping will happen this spring. The house was built around 1680 - 1700 and has a small lot. I tried detecting the lot with my inexpensive Tesoro, but the trash and hot rocks made it impossible.

I think that old Whites was good luck and am thinking of an MXT Pro. I'll end up doing some beach hunting, maybe some relics, but generally just hunting wherever I get permission.

Any guidance away from an MXT Pro for this sort of use? I don't owe anything to Whites, but that brand has brought me good luck in the past. The only gold prospecting I will likely do will happen in Southern Baja CA, since I go down there to visit family every so often, and have plenty of opportunity to hunt down there.

Thanks,
Mick

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used an MXT (original) for years, and in my opinion they don't make a better VLF detector! Not sure about salt water, but on land there may be machines as good, but none better. You will NOT be disappointed! :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is a good choice for all but in the WET saltwater sand. It will be unstable there, but will clean up in any dry sand. A better choice would be the DFX as with its two frequencies it will handle the WET sand too.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back to a great hobby!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
imagesJ1R2ZVLA.jpg

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I own the M6 and have had the MXT. Both are very good machines. The M6 is without Threshold but I don't miss it that much. Welcome to Tnet. detector 8.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions