New at CRH and I have some questions

SPWalker

Aug 6, 2003
Mc Allen, Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ-7A FISHER
To all:

I caught up to the idea of CRH while working with my son on a coin collector Merritt Badge for his boy scout projects. We went with nickels. We perchased a full box and he got all he needed with that first box to meet his project requirements. From that I jumped on this site as I am a avid MDer and am always on the Treasure net 'CW' or 'today's finds' site.

When we got started we read the first message on how to look for the coins and which ones to look for. I also have a coin book so that helps us as well. My question is what is a double die 1974? Also why do we need a dump bank? Can you not get the bank you pull from to perchase new unopened Brink boxes? What do banks do with the ones that we turn in? Do they not pass them out as change?

We have purchased two boxes of halves since and have been very satisfied with what we coins we have found 23 keepers or 1.15%. In 2000 coins we have 3-90%, 18-40%, 1-2005 and one with a counter stamp (1960-1980). My son is hooked, he wants to keep looking to keep the silver for his collage fund. He is 13 so we have some time to build it up.

Thanks for reading

SPWALKER and BENWALKER (2nd class troop 76)
Mc Allen, Texas

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
SpWalker,

You will need a dump bank to return your reject halves that you do not want to keep. From what I have learned, the banks return the halves you drop off back to the coin delivery service that delivers coins to them, where they are rerolled. They don't give them out as change as far as I can tell.

I feel it is smart to not buy from the bank where you dump. My reason for this is because some of the tellers I deal with do not look too happy when they see me come in with my bag of reject halves for them to put through the coin counter. If I was buying one day and coming back the next with the rejects, I feel they may be more likely to give me trouble either ordering the halves or taking the dumps. Two of my dump banks have great tellers that have offered to order halves for me, but I have not taken them up on it.

The coin you mention with the 1960 and 1980 stamp was not produced by the mint as it is now, but is an aftermarket modification by a private company. Is it gold plated? I found one like that awhile ago.

Sounds like you got some good results so far.

Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Check out this thread. I asked this question and got great responce

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,147852.0.html

All the answers to your questions are here on this CRH site.

Try sorting by subject matter. Click on the header (Title) and it Will sort alphabetically and look for your key words, Like Question, New to Coinroll Hunting, 1974 ddo Kennedy.

It's all been covered 10 times over. 31 pages.

Good Luck.Mojo

OP
OP
SPWalker

SPWalker

Aug 6, 2003
Mc Allen, Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ-7A FISHER
Jim:

Thanks for the reply. The 1960-1980 is plated but not gold. It looks like bright silver. I read on the CRH TN web page was not a collector coin but worth the usual 50 cent face value. We are keeping it for the novelty in it (at lease for now).

SW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread