New At Pro coming today/concern on unit leaking?

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My new AT suppose to be here today, my wife and me will be going to our lakehouse for the weekend. I wanted to take the AT out to a few islands that people use for swimming & hanging out. I never seen anyone detecting these areas.

I keep seeing post after post for the last several years on the AT Pro leaking. I know they are waterproof but is it more that they maybe waterproof but not recommend for the water? I am getting the feeling that maybe what it is . I read some of these post here and after 2 years warranty its like: Use your AT in the water at your own risk after 2 years.... Why is it I only see post on the AT leaking? I am not sure if I want to test the waters even go out ankle deep with it.

Sorry, I don't mean to upset anyone with this question. I am new, I don't have buyer remorse yet, just a little nervous with all these post I keep reading year after year.

I would like to hear from AT owners that their unit leaked and what they thought caused it and how much did it cost out of warranty?

Thanks so much I have really learned a lot from this site. Its a good place to go when you are new

Tom

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
In the last couple of days there were 3 leaking if I remember correctly.

You've 2 years of warranty, so for now I wouldn't worry about it = except for the hassle of returning to Garrett. That should give you time to hit those swim holes, and time to consider the future of your detecting adventures. And if your spots are truly virgin, you just might pay for your next machine.

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My new AT suppose to be here today, my wife and me will be going to our lakehouse for the weekend. I wanted to take the AT out to a few islands that people use for swimming & hanging out. I never seen anyone detecting these areas.

I keep seeing post after post for the last several years on the AT Pro leaking. I know they are waterproof but is it more that they maybe waterproof but not recommend for the water? I am getting the feeling that maybe what it is . I read some of these post here and after 2 years warranty its like: Use your AT in the water at your own risk after 2 years.... Why is it I only see post on the AT leaking? I am not sure if I want to test the waters even go out ankle deep with it.

Sorry, I don't mean to upset anyone with this question. I am new, I don't have buyer remorse yet, just a little nervous with all these post I keep reading year after year.

I would like to hear from AT owners that their unit leaked and what they thought caused it and how much did it cost out of warranty?

Thanks so much I have really learned a lot from this site. Its a good place to go when you are new

Tom

Check out aquachigger on youtube (or nuggetnoggin), they both use AT Pros in water all the time and I have personally submerged mine several times without problems. Works just fine, make sure to occasionally smear some silicone grease on the orings and you are fine.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also besides the silicone grease, don't take it out of a hot car into the water.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ATP is probably one of the most popular machines sold. Thousands if not hundreds of thousand machines sold. People will post when they have an issue to find out if someone has had a similar problem to gain an understanding of their issue.
People will not post if they use the machine without issue. I would not worry about it.....just go find those targets!

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problems here!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello thaigler,

I use the AT Pro and At Gold metal detectors in water (rain, streams, ponds and lakes) all the time with no problem. I have also use the AT Pro at the beach (coil submerged and control box completely submerged) with no problems. As Sandman stated, do not place a "hot" detector in cold water and make sure the battery compartment seals are well maintained. Lastly, make sure the coil and headphone connector seals are also properly maintained and secured properly to the control head. Always rinse the detector down with freash water after each use, a must if beach water hunting. With that, you are good to go! Enjoy...GL & HH

Regards,

Doc

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Submerge to 10 ft not an issue.Mine is always in the water not had an issue.Did you get the water headphones? The ones that they come with are not waterproof.Go out until you are neck deep and it won't hurt it.

Last edited:

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just three things:

Make SURE you put the battery cap back on properly. Sometimes it will go on tilted. It will appear to be on properly from one vantage point but if you flip the machine over you'll see it's not on properly. That can cause a leak. Double check. If it's on properly it will be fine.

Second, you may get sand stuck in the buttons as you swash around in the water or whatever. DO NOT shove something hard or sharp around the buttons to clean out the sand or dirt. The buttons are actually attached to a water proof membrane. If you puncture or rip that membrane, you'll get a leak.

Third, when you're attaching the cables or unscrewing the cables hold onto the control box NOT the detector shaft. The control box is only held onto the shaft with two tiny plastic tabs.......which can break easily. If you hold the shaft and push on the control box you'll break them off. Always hold onto the control box when messing with the cables. I suggest you keep a roll of duct tape with you when hunting just in case you make this mistake.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just three things:

Make SURE you put the battery cap back on properly. Sometimes it will go on tilted. It will appear to be on properly from one vantage point but if you flip the machine over you'll see it's not on properly. That can cause a leak. Double check. If it's on properly it will be fine.

Second, you may get sand stuck in the buttons as you swash around in the water or whatever. DO NOT shove something hard or sharp around the buttons to clean out the sand or dirt. The buttons are actually attached to a water proof membrane. If you puncture or rip that membrane, you'll get a leak.

Third, when you're attaching the cables or unscrewing the cables hold onto the control box NOT the detector shaft. The control box is only held onto the shaft with two tiny plastic tabs.......which can break easily. If you hold the shaft and push on the control box you'll break them off. Always hold onto the control box when messing with the cables. I suggest you keep a roll of duct tape with you when hunting just in case you make this mistake.

Here is a picture of my fix for the weakness of control box mount. 100_4961.JPG I added a second also, strong as a rock now.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of 950,000 of them sold only a few have failed! You will need some Grey Ghosts Amphibians or Garrett waterproof headphones if you want to not have to worry about dunking your head underwater. The stock ones are NOT waterproof. I enjoy snorkeling and fanning targets more than scooping especially in calm freshwater places.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a 6 hour day for me last week with water just above my moobs, and the ATP constantly under water. I was told to sprinkle a little water on the housing before submerging, if the machine is hot, to avoid thermal shock/leaking. Been drowning mine for two years with no issues.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 3 critical ports that could allow water to enter their control box. The connection for the coil cable , the connection for the headphones, and the "O" ring around the battery compartment cap. As has been said, a coating of silicone grease should be applied to all 3 "O" rings prior to going into the water.
You can pick up a small tub of silicone grease at any dive shop. I use the Grey Ghost Amphibians headphones, which are totally water proof. My best results have been obtained in fresh water. Salt water will give the PRO lots of ghost signals.
I usually hand tighten my headphones and coil connections. Overtightening the connectors could eventually cause problems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread