New at this and need some help

kb242

Tenderfoot
May 10, 2010
Hi,

I have been on this site for some time now and decided to join. I've always wanted to do some metal detecting since I was a kid and am one step away from purchasing one. I am leaning towards the Garrett Ace 250. Can anyone tell me if I will need anything to go with it? Also any input or advice for a newcomer would be appreciated. Thanks all

Upvote 0

RigDean

Sep 6, 2008
You're in for quite a journey... ;D

Welcome here! Good idea starting out with a lower end machine, however the Ace 250 is no slouch from what I've read and seen from users. Seems like it would be a good introductory machine and a good back up if you decide to "upgrade" later.

Get a decent digging tool and a finds pouch and off you go. Remember to read your manual, throw some coins on the ground to familiarize and research research research. But mainly just have fun, respect public and private property and post some pictures of your finds for us all to enjoy!

Good luck!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$400 give or take sure goes a long way and definitely enough to get you all you need for a good start.

Treasure $ Trekkies

Mar 28, 2010
Miami Fla
Detector(s) used
whites, 2011 cion master, Whites MXT 300
every MD is differant, get to know the one you have, work with it and listen to the differant sounds it makes over copper, gold, silver, iron ,, work the areas that you thing might be a lot of stuff. play grounds, places were people might drop money. get to know the history of your home town were parks and houses were, forts, stores. Think in past not in the present. what were people doing and how did they do it. History got to love it! good luck, have fun . :headbang:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to this great hobby. A few things not mentioned yet: fill your holes.... many people have been denied access to hunt property because previous hunters did not fill their holes. Know where to hunt and where not to hunt... most parks and schools are ok but any property you will need permission and most state and national parks are off limits. Do your research... if you are looking for places to hunt then research old papers, stories, ask family and friends. I hear that is a pretty good machine that you got and I see many people with some great finds on here. If you like to find jewelry try the tot lots and soccer fields and swimming areas as that is where a lot are found. You also may want to consider joining a local club as you could then get some local help and meet some people to hunt with. If you have any questions this is a great place to find the answers. Good luck and we all can't wait to see your finds.

biguglydude

Feb 26, 2010
Detector(s) used
Explorer S
kb242 said:
Hi,

I have been on this site for some time now and decided to join. I've always wanted to do some metal detecting since I was a kid and am one step away from purchasing one. I am leaning towards the Garrett Ace 250. Can anyone tell me if I will need anything to go with it? Also any input or advice for a newcomer would be appreciated. Thanks all

I went through this just a few months ago when I started. I was also looking at the ACE250. I found a lot of people liked the machine very much, but found they were buying up soon after. I decided to hit the ground running with a mid priced model. I chose a used Whites MXT. It’s a really nice machine and very user friendly. I then had the chance to buy a used Minelab Explorer. After a short learning curve, I can’t put it down! I’m going to save my pennies found to buy a newer Explorer. Just my two cents! Hope this helps. I would also recommend going to the manufactures web sites and watch the video demos of their models. That helped me a lot. Good luck.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
The Ace 250 is a very capable machine, Idaho Hunter has a few different mid-range Garretts & recently got an Ace because it is very light weight. I can hardly keep up with him, he finds rings & lots of clad! The one thing I will recomend is that you get a pinpointer, it will help you locate coins & cut your search time in half. Id try the Cen-tec pinpointer from Harbor Freight, bout $16, then you can upgrade later. I now use a Garrett Pro-Pointer ($130) & dont know how I ever got by without it! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread