new at this.... what do you make of these?

tim185

Jan 7, 2014
Hannibal, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I put down my metal detector and started walking....

My buddy bought a farm and plowed several fields. Location is northeast corner of Missouri near the Des Moines river. Fields are atop a ridge well out of the flood plain.

I found several flakes... Or what I believe are flakes. So I think im on the right track. It didn't rain yesterday like I thought it did. I need a really good rain before the corn thats planted takes over.

Anyways.... I'd really like some thoughts and opinions on this really cool round rock. Its more like an egg really . Smooth. Its got a small flat spot on the bottom as its sitting. Is this a tool? Or a grinder of some sort? Or other artifact? One things for sure... It sure stood out from anything I saw in the field and seemed outta place and unusual. How do you tell what's a round rock and what's an genuine artifact?

Still searching for my first arrowhead or other artifact.

I thank you in advance!

Tim

Attachments

• 1428978117112.jpg
    1428978117112.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 0

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say your hunting in the right area. Just a matter of time after a good rain, and I think you will start finding points. Good luck and please post those finds! :icon_thumright:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are in the rite area. I always look for those cobbles when walking a field. There was many uses for them in the camp sites. Hammer stone, grinder, anvil are all possible. If you happen to find a red one you will be in the camp site if it is the same as GA. They did use them for pits for fires also.

OP
OP
T

tim185

Jan 7, 2014
Hannibal, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are in the rite area. I always look for those cobbles when walking a field. There was many uses for them in the camp sites. Hammer stone, grinder, anvil are all possible. If you happen to find a red one you will be in the camp site if it is the same as GA. They did use them for pits for fires also.

Ah ha.... see I learn something every time I'll on here.
I saw big red sandstone rocks, I think it was sandstone, in the field that I thought was odd, too. But wasn't sure what I was looking at other than weird red rocks...
thank you for the tip and information!
Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread