New Beach Old Beach

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I started out early this morning to go to a new beach (for me) to hunt. But... I got there way to early and could not get in. I didn't know they had a gate there! I had over an hour to wait so I decided to just go on to Clearwater Beach and hunt there. I never was a patient person! So nothing there. At CWB I put my gear on and started for the beach. I went by a lifeguard tower and hit a small spill of coins. That was nice! The sun was not going to come up today I could tell but it was light out so off I went to the water. I got a hit as soon as I entered the water. A penny! Well that was ok. It was a start! At least I got a signal IN the water this time. I saw Ken and Les walking by me on shore headed for the south end and waved. I slowly made my way down to the pier. I wanted to hunt near it on the south side. When I finally got there I noticed something in the water bobbing now and then. Now I don't wear my good glasses out there so I can't see real good distance-wise. As I got closer I realized it was someone was snorkleing there. Perhaps he was looking for something he lost? I tried to stay away from him and in the area I wanted to hunt. I really wanted to know what he was doing but... I know I'm nosey. The waves kept knocking me off the projected line I made myself and I ended up closer to him that I really wanted to be. But that was good because then I could see that he was MD'ing! Yep, I know they do that with a snorkle but this is the first time I've seen it. I don't know if he was finding anything or not. I really wanted to say hi and ask him but I finally decided that I would be good and leave him to it. So I headed back north. I did get a few hits in the water today but nothing to write home about. I found another hoop earring that looks like it could be copper and a few more coins.

Junk072408.jpg

It was getting really nasty looking out and it started to rain. The sky was getting real black. No lightening or thunder but I decided better to be safe than sorry so I headed out of the water and back to the car.

As soon as I got out of the water and up on the (dry?) sand I got another hit. This time a very small charm, perhaps from an earring? A little farther on another hit and this was a spoon. This is the third spoon this week! I bet the hotels are short on spoons. By now it was really starting to rain and the wind was blowing hard but I still had a way to go to get back to my car. I ended up with a couple more coins and got soaking wet. Didn't matter. I had just got out of the water anyway and was already wet! Heh heh

Money072408.jpg

My total coin for today was 96 cents, a spoon, a charm and an earring plus the usual junk consisting of pull tabs and bottle caps and a good time. Can't beat that, I'll take it! :wink:

Upvote 0

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Sounds like a good day to me. do you ever get sharks/rays teeth or any cool shells/sand dollars ???. None of that stuff here in Ohio. I was just wondering :icon_scratch:.

Acevillav

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I personally have not. I have seen small shells but nothing to really get excited about. I do know that others have gotten the teeth and beautiful shells but I'm thinking that it is further south than Clearwater beach. I bet some of the others will let us know for sure.

MikeDahms

Jun 25, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
When I was water hunting in Hawaii I used a snorkel most of the time. With your head in the water its easier to ignore those around you. It also blocks out the noises of the beach making it easier to hear the small signals. I found detecting 10 plus hours in a day something I could do because I was lying down in the water. Try it you may find you really like it and you may want to purchase a special mask with you perscription in the the lenses.

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Another thing I noticed was that he wasn't having to fight the waves like I was since he was under the water most of the time. It sounds like a good idea I think I will check this out.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mumzie, I say go for it..give em all a run for their money...do the snorkeling... go for.... congrats on your finds too :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HalfSpeed

Feb 10, 2008
Enid, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Ace 250's (2), Cobra Beach Magnet
Hey Mumzie.... Snorkeling is another great hobby. Combine the two and you got something! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You are weightless and good fins move you along with very little effort. If you try this, be sure to get a good snorkeling inflatable vest just to be safe. Son and daughter in law went with me to the bahamas last December. Daughter was nervous about it so we agreed to stay fairly shallow. An hour later we was having a ball in 40' of water. She did suck a little sea water though by constantly looking behind her for sharks. She would submerge her snorkel doing this..... :o Anyway, it's not expensive to get started so go for it!

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Sounds like you had a good day, and im interested to hear how snorkelling works for you if you decide to give it a try. I may look into it myself, although here in virginia, the water is not quite as clear. Persistence is sure to pay off for you soon!

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snorkeling would be a good way to go, but I don't know how effective it would be with this wave action. It would be fun and nice when the water is clear. Was the hunter in close to shore or out deep?

It looks like you didn't have a bad day.

Good luck tomorrow.

JP

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
::) ROFLOL Nahhhhhh it is just another one of those "thingys" that they use to hold down towels, blankets, sun unbrellas etc. I've found several the last couple of months.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread