New Best Box Ever

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Before today, my best box ever had been 57 40%'s. We started opening the only box of halves that I got this week while waiting for Chinese food takeout. As soon as I opened it, the enders began popping out, maybe five or six and then another four when I flipped them over. There was also 2 reverse ender proofs that stuck out because they were in such good shape. I opened one ender and there was another ender that I hadn't seen but then nothing else was in between. Another ender had 2 at the one end and then 3 more inside so after only 5 or 6 rolls we had 10 40%'s and 3 2009 proofs. After we finished our "Four Seasons" and rice I opened the rest of the box and the silver and proofs just kept coming. Four rolls from the end I pulled a dirty 1938 Walker to go along with 2 1964's and ended with a grand total of 3 90%'s, 73 40%'s, and 26 proofs ( 25 2009's and 1 1982). 2 or 3 weeks ago, I had a box that had 5 2009S proofs and thought that was all the 2009 proofs I would ever need but I guess I was wrong. I can't find the USB cord for my camera in the mess around my desk at night and don't want to wake my wife looking for it, I'll try to put a pic up tomorrow.

1 -1965
10-1966
25-1967
24-1968
13-1969

Earlier this week, I had a nickel box that had 7 war nickels and 3 Buffalo's with dates 2-26's, and a 36 that I was real happy with. Nice way to end a slow month.

nov30a.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to hear someone in in our neck of the woods is finding something! my best box ever had 37 40's and 3 90's with 4 enders, that was a while back. Nice job there Minkybodl! HH, Maverick.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds and totals!
I avoid the Chinese food tho, diner here were busted serving cat lol

Dinero2005

Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! I'd be right back at that same bank getting the next box. There has to be more from that same collection that got dumped.

Stupid question. I haven't been looking for proofs. Should I? What exactly is a proof? Anything with an S mint mark?

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume none of the proofs are silver. correct?

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, nice box! Check the reverse of that 38 Walker for the D mintmark. It's a key date.

silvershooter

Sep 13, 2012
north central,In
Detector(s) used
whites 5900 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've bought one box in my short CRH career and found nothing!! But stories like this inspire me to buy them whenever I can find them. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
All the proofs were clad, if they were silver I would have been able to call it a dream box.

Dinero, Proofs are halves with an S mint mark and there are clad and silver proofs with the newer ones. They are sold in proof sets that have each coin for that year and are made using a special process so that you can usually tell they are proofs just by looking at them. I usually keep all of my proofs because I have a half collection book that has a space for the proof for each year and they look nice. I don't know of any real extra value to the clads except in a collection or to a collector. I have never had this many of one year before.

The Walker is just a regular 38 plus it is in pretty rough shape if it were a D.

Found the cord for my camera and went to take a pic and the batteries were dead.

nov30a.jpg 2009proofs.jpg

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice box, Congrats!

I keep all the clad proofs too. There are just nice coins.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic box! One of the best on here in a while. Congrats!

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Excellent finds!!! At least somebody is finding then in the boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread