New Book

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As some of you guys already know, I enjoy writing and sharing. So, here’s a simple 36 page publication for those hobbyist who plan to metal detect this coast. It discusses a lot of the beach elements I’ve had to learn to deal with since moving here, so if you’re thinking about hunting this coast in the future this simple book details a lot of the elements that you’re going to be facing so you can plan ahead.

book3.jpg

Lagoon River & Research by LagoonRiver on Etsy

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are the master of detection. I congratulate on this book. :headbang::headbang::hello2::hello2:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are the master of detection. I congratulate on this book. :headbang::headbang::hello2::hello2:

Not even close. :laughing7: But thanks for the gesture. This book just details what it was like coming from the north country to the East Coast of Florida, to where the beaches were "thought to be" littered with gold and easy hunting........but in reality the hunting here isn't as easy as one might think. These beaches have a life and life cycle all their own and the hunting isn't near as easy as a lot of people think. I can honestly say that the hunting was more consistent and much easier up north. Since moving to the East Coast of Florida I've never worked so hard for pieces of gold in all my life. :laughing7:

Last edited:

icatchbigcats

Dec 2, 2012
Just south of the Canadian border
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, E-Trac, Explorer SE, Quatro, Whites PI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I just ordered your book, I'm a long way from FL but hope to retire there someday.

Lepreshawn

Greenie
Nov 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ordered it also. Hopefully this will help me in reading the beach better as that seems to be my biggest problem. The detecting/machine/tones part came easy to me.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had started a book years ago and then Clive blew me outta the water as then my material was in his books. The only subjects he didn't have in any of his books was girl watching.:laughing7:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to See BigScoop, I sure it will help many. What I like about it you focus on one area. And at a Very Fair Price, for many others ask twice or more on there books.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. If this one works out ok I have another one in the works that observes what it is that sets those elite hunters apart from the rest of us. Since I've been down here I've gotten to meet a few of them and speak to several others and they really are a different bread. I think it's going to be a pretty good book, but also somewhat brutally honest, which this "self-beating" has actually done me more good then anything else. What I quickly realized was that I didn't know near enough and not even near as much I thought I did. Observing these guys and listening to them has done more to improve my own hunting then all the books and videos ever could. I think once you realize these differences that's when you really start learning. I know this has been a big turning point for me.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop,

Glad you're keeping an open mind as to what works and what doesn't.....I consider myself a student of metal detecting
even though I do not bad.....we can always add a few twists to our bag of tricks.

Good luck on the sales of the book and the next one in the works.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop,

Glad you're keeping an open mind as to what works and what doesn't.....I consider myself a student of metal detecting
even though I do not bad.....we can always add a few twists to our bag of tricks.

Good luck on the sales of the book and the next one in the works.

Regards + HH

Bill

Dry sand is pretty much dry sand, but once you hit that wet sand and saltwater down here it's a whole different ballgame then it is on those freshwater beaches up north. These beaches down here are living, breathing, treasure eating creatures with attitudes. :laughing7:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman: how you say it is just as important, if not even more important than what you say!

Just because the material may be the same, does not mean the book would not sell well or be worthwhile.
It's a matter of style with different strokes by different folks till the topic finally sinks in.

I try to read all your post(s) as they have been very helpful to me, and I am sure to others.
I would of loved to of been able to purchase your book as it would of saved me a lot of time and frustration.

I have several of Clives books, and now appreciate them, but it took many re reads and detecting time till I was able to comprehend what he was saying.

Also, I had to purchase other books, which were more focused: A beginners Guide to the Minelab Sovereign and Excalibur series by Tony Pasquele, the ultimate Sovereign Beach hunters Guide by Gary T. Drayton. I especially like Gary's books , as he is a great story teller, and you learn through his personal experience(s).

If you ever decide to publish, please let me know as I have reserved a place in my library for your book.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had started a book years ago and then Clive blew me outta the water as then my material was in his books. The only subjects he didn't have in any of his books was girl watching.:laughing7:

Girl watching is an individual style with a lot of techniques, so I'd be interested in picking up some of the finer tips. For instance, sometimes when I'm on the beach I completely miss them, or see them only when it's too late for a total and complete scan. I could also use more help with the "corner of the eye" technique and better focusing. I've also noticed that as I get older, swaying in the surf and watching hips at the same time causes me to frequently lose my balance. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first moved here and started hunting the beaches a lot I'd eventually find a productive cut or hole on the beach and I'd come back the next low tide to hunt it again only to stand there like a stump thinking, "Where'd it go?" :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Polarized sun glasses is the secret! If your completely missing them you have bigger problems than we can help with here....lol

Burldrives

Sep 26, 2011
St Petersburg Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There are several books on advanced beach techneaks with minelab excal , but I have not sean any for cz 21 . I think that would be a winner
Burl

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Burl: There was a lot of good information published on the Golden Olde website, which no longer exists, by the late Norman Garnush. I believed he mainly used a Fischer CZ 20, which are often upgraded to a CZ 21 when repaired at the factory. You can pull up his excellent articles on Way back Archive - but the pictures have been lost.

I have heard that some of the members on Treasure Net have archives of his articles, including pictures on CD or on their hard drive. I sure hope so, as I would love to get a copy of these for my library and use as well and would be glad to offset any cost(s).

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
I just ordered a book. I read all the books. But I know one very big secret that I have never read in any book. It is the best thing about being a real winner in this hobby. Since you all have been helping me so much I will tell you the secret. When you see her on the blanket move close in position for best view. Pretend to be listening to faint singles. Then dig slowly and enjoy the view. When and if she becomes annoyed dig up a scoop and take the fake bling from Walmart out of your scoop that earlier you tied in your scope with a wire twist. Hold the bling up and look at it an smile. Then look at her and hand it to her. Tell her if it wasn't for her you would have never have been in the area. Works ever time. Good luck!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several books on advanced beach techneaks with minelab excal , but I have not sean any for cz 21 . I think that would be a winner
Burl

I think the reason for this absence is due to the fact that CZ-21 isn't nearly as diverse a machine as the Excal. The CZ is a good beach and water machine but when compared to the Excal it has it's capability limits. The Excal can be taken virtually anywhere and in just about any environment and it can handle the situation, not true with the CZ. The Excal can also be modified, even to the point of improving it's performance, which for the most part the CZ can't be. Yes, the CZ is a great machine, but the Excal is on an entirely different plateau because of its versatility and its technology. For the most part, out of the box, the CZ is what it is, a very good and dependable beach and water machine that's fairly easy to learn and easy to operate. Hence the lack of "beyond the basics" type books. Just not a whole lot, or enough, to add beyond the user manual to justify a book. Just my personal opinion after having used both machines quite a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread