New Civil War Camp Site Produces

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Though still grown over with a lot of vegetation, my son and I spent some time scouting a new site last week. This is a winter camp that has supposedly been hunted heavily. Very rocky, tough digging, but on our first trip and being able to only hunt about 1/3 of the potential good area due to the vegetation, we managed to pull out a few meager relics. There are numerous dug in hut sites on the place, but all were grown over. We'll check those out next time to see what everyone else left behind. So far we have a period cuff button back, eagle button, camp lead and tent grommet. Lots of iron signals and square nails too.

winter camp zach2.jpg

Upvote 9

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on getting what you could. Hope you can show us more once the vegetation dies down.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck man. Low and s-l-o-w is the name of the game in those heavy hunted places. I have only found three buckles in my life, and all came from POUNDED places. two were deep, one was masked by a lot of barbed wire.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck man. Low and s-l-o-w is the name of the game in those heavy hunted places. I have only found three buckles in my life, and all came from POUNDED places. two were deep, one was masked by a lot of barbed wire.

Thanks PW. That's the kind of encouragement I need. All things considered, I was pleased with the first results. This was primarily a Confederate camp, but used by Union soldiers as well. Can't wait to get back in there. We have frost this morning so hopefully most of the vegetation will be gone in a few weeks.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds,
It always feel invigorating when I find a new sight. Especially after the first targets are dug. Good luck buddy.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks promising Richard. Good luck there this fall & winter. HH, Q.

I think so Quindy. My son dug the tent grommet and some square nails right off the bat - then an hour or two go by and NOTHING. Then I dug the other items right before I left. But man is it rocky.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though still grown over with a lot of vegetation, my son and I spent some time scouting a new site last week. This is a winter camp that has supposedly been hunted heavily. Very rocky, tough digging, but on our first trip and being able to only hunt about 1/3 of the potential good area due to the vegetation, we managed to pull out a few meager relics. There are numerous dug in hut sites on the place, but all were grown over. We'll check those out next time to see what everyone else left behind. So far we have a period cuff button back, eagle button, camp lead and tent grommet. Lots of iron signals and square nails too.

View attachment 1224505

Sound like a Fun & Maybe tuff site that will keep y'all busy for awhile, + leftovers are fine with me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread