New coil, New area...

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all, I got out between raindrops for a few hours today and went back to an area that I had come across a while back. I sort of stumbled on this area on the way out from another location one evening. It was getting dusky and I came across what I thought was a natural draw. Looking at it a bit closer it appeared to be an old skid trail used to bring logs out. I stopped for a minute and had a drink of water and looked around a bit. The whole area has been machine brush cut by the BLM sometime in the last few years. This also made it hard to see much of anything.

Convinced that it was an old skid path I started to head out to the rig. As I started out I hit a slick rock and busted my butt. As I was getting up I looked at the skid mark and saw that it was green shale, one of my favorite colors for shale here in the Redding area. Upon closer inspection I realized that this was indeed used as a logging trail but only because it was already in place, I had stumbled upon a line of contact shale that the old timers had worked. I was still not too excited because many times the gold was tiny in size at many of these locations. It was getting dark quick so I decided to get out to the jeep.

I got out today to the same area and took the trusty old 3000 for spin before the rain started back in earnest. It only took a few minutes to get to the site and before long I was detecting. I was using my new 8 X 6 Mono coil, Sadie, a new Nugget Finder addition. My very first target was a half inch long crinkly nugget at about six inches deep. Wow, there is detectable gold here I said to myself. As I meandered up the draw I could see that it averaged about twenty feet wide with granite walls going almost straight up about six feet. The bottom being shale with lots of clay mixed in with some small coarse rock. The old timers had followed this soft shale contact for almost a half mile and now I saw why. Within a few minutes I had another nice shale pressed nugget. It was starting to get fun now. The very next target was about twenty yards up and it turned out to be another piece of gold albeit a bit rounder than the other two pieces.

The rain was starting to come in harder and I decided that I better get going swinging as I went. Within a few yards I turned up another flat nugget. I took a final look up the draw wishing the rain had not come back so soon and then headed out to the jeep.

The gold came in at 2.6 dwts. I really like this new Sadie coil. The last nugget was down about sixteen inches and the coil had no problem giving a real clear signal. I will be headed back out soon as the rain stops... TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

SADIE 1.JPG SADIE 2.JPG SADIE 3.JPG

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Freakin' fantastic! Nicely done--that's beautiful gold you've got there.

All the best,

Lanny

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TrinityAU/RayMills,
Really nice pieces of gold and on your return a nice lead cap and piece of gold. I find it interesting that with the modded 3000 you are having such success. I wish you owned a GMT so it could be waved over the same target before the target was removed just to compare what the GMT would do.
Maybe someday I could come up bringing my GMT and we could find out...............................Regards and thank you for sharing...63bkpkr

OP
OP
trinityau

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey 63bkpkr, you are welcome to come up for hunt any time. Shoot me a PM ahead so I can make time. I work a four days on and two days off schedule. I cannot guarantee anything but we have a lot of good ground up here.

I extend an invitation to anyone else on the forum that would like to come up for a hunt, just contact me ahead for planning.

GMT is a good unit, as far as White's though I still favor the old Gold Master series, V Sat. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

dqsantos

Oct 9, 2013
Chico
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey 63bkpkr, you are welcome to come up for hunt any time. Shoot me a PM ahead so I can make time. I work a four days on and two days off schedule. I cannot guarantee anything but we have a lot of good ground up here.

I extend an invitation to anyone else on the forum that would like to come up for a hunt, just contact me ahead for planning.

GMT is a good unit, as far as White's though I still favor the old Gold Master series, V Sat. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Would you even consider taking a newbie out?
Hard to pick the right spot when trying to get started.
Thanks for sharing all of the information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread