EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By this Winter research time, I found a home site, that still is occupied, but the original house is gone, with another one built on the site in the 1800's.
It has a pretty small yard that I can access, but in the tiny break in the rain yesterday, I gave it a quick once over. It paid off!
I didn't find a ton of Colonial, a little bit of everything really - which is cool.

Finds 2-2.jpg Finds 2-2 b.jpg

A couple of nice Colonial buttons and buckle maybe 1800's..
But there was a nice little surprise -

Tnet KG III VIRGINIA HP OBVERSE.jpg KG III VIRGINIA HP REVERSE.jpg

When I first dug it, I thought is was a new state quarter. I began to remove the dirt and saw a small divot in the center and thought it was a decorated flat button. Then, I turned it over and saw the same mark, realized there was dirt in a hole. When I removed it, I saw the Crown and Crest and I was sure I had Spanish silver!! Then I turned it over again and could swear it looked like a KG on the obv. I was stumped until I got it home and got it cleaned.
Talk about down and up, up and down... Wow!
When I finally could clean it, I thought, since it's the size of a U.S. quarter, that I had a farthing.
Imagine my surprise when I could see the back had the NIA on the other side it usually is and I could barely make out VIRGI opposite it.
In the pics, I had to light the coin from several directions to get the details to show.
OMGosh, I am happy as I could be, hole and all that it's a 1773 KG III VIRGINIA Half Penny!

Can't wait to go back.

Upvote 19
OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Ace 250, XP deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told a whizzer was a spin toy made with a button with a hole and a piece of string. I tried googling it and there is a site that show you how to make one. The problem was the video on the site was not working. I guess in the early 1800's it probably kept the children occupied. I envy you guy still out detecting. We just had four feet of snow in the last week. It will be a while. Nice to read about your finds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was told a whizzer was a spin toy made with a button with a hole and a piece of string. I tried googling it and there is a site that show you how to make one. The problem was the video on the site was not working. I guess in the early 1800's it probably kept the children occupied. I envy you guy still out detecting. We just had four feet of snow in the last week. It will be a while. Nice to read about your finds.

Oh, I remember them now. (not from the 1800's. I'm old, but not tHAT old) I never thought about that. It could very well be what happened though. Sorry about the snow, four feet is too deep for my detector too! lol I am going crazy with cabin fever or MD withdraws if I can't go for more than two days. So far it has been fairly moderate here, but I haven't been able to go this week except the short time I got these artifacts. We have gotten rain down here instead of your snow. But the rain saturates the ground then freezes, so If I get a 40 degree day the ground is still hard. Not very deep, but too hard for my arthritus. :(
I'll keep trying to give you something to look at until you thaw.. But it drives me half crazy to see these guys getting these great finds when I can't go out. HH soon!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I was very happy for the next three months after finding my first colonial copper, you deserved that beautiful coin, welcome to the colonial coin club!

Coinman123,

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was very happy for the next three months after finding my first colonial copper, you deserved that beautiful coin, welcome to the colonial coin club!
Coinman123,

Thanks Coinman! It's not my first colonial, but it's only my sixth. It is my first Brit to a colony copper. I have 3 Brit KG IIs and one KG III and a toasted one I can't tell what it is.
But I am the same way, I still hold them alot.. and it'll be awhile before this one gets placed in the book.
I mean, they've been laying there for 200+ years, they need to be held awhile, right? lol

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Coinman! It's not my first colonial, but it's only my sixth. It is my first Brit to a colony copper. I have 3 Brit KG IIs and one KG III and a toasted one I can't tell what it is.
But I am the same way, I still hold them alot.. and it'll be awhile before this one gets placed in the book.
I mean, they've been laying there for 200+ years, they need to be held awhile, right? lol

I'm still waiting on a coin actually minted by the colonies. Congrats again on that milestone. I know what you mean, I always want to take my 1803 Large cent that looks to have AU details out of it's 2x2 holder and hold it and stare at it. Same with my colonial coppers that I have in olive oil, every month I will take them out to check on them, I will end up having them in my hand for the rest of the day lol.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other

A whizzer has to have two holes on it for it to work, otherwise it is just a coin with a hole in the middle.

Here is a King George II Halfpenny Whizzer I found this November.

IMG_20141109_174322.jpg

I actually tested it lol, I put a string in each hole and winded it up, then when I let go it spun.

I think it is my favorite British copper next to my 1696 Halfpenny, I may even like this better but I'm not sure.

Coinman123,

Last edited:

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Ace 250, XP deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that info Coinman. I now know i have a button with a hole in it. You do have quite the list of coins and artifacts. Ed

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm still waiting on a coin actually minted by the colonies. Congrats again on that milestone. I know what you mean, I always want to take my 1803 Large cent that looks to have AU details out of it's 2x2 holder and hold it and stare at it. Same with my colonial coppers that I have in olive oil, every month I will take them out to check on them, I will end up having them in my hand for the rest of the day lol.

I know, I'm sure we're not alone in that.. it's not like touching a dug coin is going to hurt it. Haha
My first colonial made, Isn't really colonial. I found a Connecticut 1787 this past summer. I really think that's a cool one too. Since it was made by a new state, I guess it's a state coin, though used and accepted on a federal level before the Congress authorized U.S. coinage. So, it ended up here in Maryland.
I'm learning SO much coin info, I love researching my finds. I had no idea England authorized individual colonies money making rights, and they also shipped the first batches made at the Tower mint in London. That's just great history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions